GIANT SQUID AS SEA SERPENT?

Rob Romero;90145 said:
Also, we’ve now got a number of photos of live or recently dead squid at the surface and they all have a distinctive bright red hue about them –definitely not brown or dark.
Actually, the captain of the boat that recovered the latest Mesonychoteuthis specimen described his first view of the squid as a big brown shape. The current crop of pics of Architeuthis at the surface were taken in conditions of bright daylight against an intense blue ocean background, which tend to emphasize red and orange hues. There are plenty of tricks that can be played on the eye vis color, so the paucity of descriptions of "bright red hue[d]" serpents shouldn't be taken as an argument against a squid ID.

Cheers,
Adam

Sea Serpents?

Ob –wow a 56ft. specimen washed up on shore in 1808 –a fish like that would certainly account for some of the serpent sightings.

Celephapodcast –great -um- ‘money’ shot. And you do what recreationally? :wink:
But seriously, the ‘neck’ of the aroused whale is behind the body and oriented backwards from the direction travel. Moreover, I assume the whale would roll over to normal position to breathe relatively quickly. I also assume there would be a normally oriented female and breathing whale in the vicinity. I’ve seen video of two erect male whales courting a female (humpback?) –nothing that could be mistaken for a sea serpent.

Clem you wrote that
The captain of the boat that recovered the latest Mesonychoteuthis specimen described his first view of the squid as a big brown shape.

-the Colossal was first seen underwater as it was being pulled up on the line –photos of it on the surface –which is where we get all descriptive accounts of sea serpents- show it to be distinctively red. Secondly, that still doesn’t explain the suspended head and neck.

Rob

My intrusion of the oarfish in all this is due to the "maned" descriptions. A dying oarfish - lying on it's side and thrashing up and down at the surface, as many fish do while in the process of dying - is my sole reason for including this. The eyewitness descriptions of sea serpents holding their heads out of the water for ten, fiften, twenty minutes at a time would obviously not apply to this. If these eyewitness descriptions are accurate, then I have no idea what was seen.

Rob Romero said:
-the Colossal was first seen underwater as it was being pulled up on the line –photos of it on the surface –which is where we get all descriptive accounts of sea serpents- show it to be distinctively red.
Hi Rob,

Depends on which picture you're lookin' at.

Clem

Attachments

• conv_290455.jpg
    conv_290455.jpg
    2.9 KB · Views: 136
  • conv_290456.jpg
    conv_290456.jpg
    2.9 KB · Views: 140
I picked up a book in Chapters about this topic. And it had all this evidence to prove that sea serpents are actually cephs... I should have bought it. (I actually didn't read the longer posts) but I think some of these arguements have the possiblity to be valid... SOME!
BTW, love the oarfish pictures!

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back