Giant Pacific sculpture and pics

pipsquek

Wonderpus
Registered
I am a metal sculptor that works with copper and bronze. For the last three years I have been working on an octopus of quite some size. I never really expected that there would be a place that I could show it off where it would get the proper attention that the animal deserves, but then part of the reason I started it was to teach people about them. Anyway, it's not quite finished, but I though I would go ahead and put some pictures of it up on this site.

If anyone knows where I can find good pictures of hectocotylized arms I would greatly appreciate it. I have been looking for the last two years but have only found fuzzy, dark and grainy pictures. I am specifically looking for Giant Pacifics, but anything to help me get a better idea of them would be great.

Thanks.

Fantastic! Such talent......

Where do you intend to exhibit it, do you think?

um... said:
You wouldn't happen to have made any other fabulous ceph (or other marine animal) sculptures, would you?

This is the first ceph I've done, but I have done other sealife for quite a while. The last piece that I finished was a California Horn Shark. I would like to make a cuttlefish, but I am having some trouble finding pictures of certain angles, especially how the suction disks are on the arms. My next project is probably going to be a leafy sea dragon, but as a mermaid. I have lots of good pics of them at various angles that I took at the Monterey Bay Aquarium. I would like to do an angel shark or a wobbegong as well, but again there is the problem of pictures. I spend about as much time looking for pics and reference material as I do welding.

Phil said:
Fantastic! Such talent......

Where do you intend to exhibit it, do you think?

I don't know that I will. I have a few problems with galleries, and I haven't yet found one in this area that I feel comfortable with. And I would rather a person have it than an institution or muesem, even if it means talking much less for it than I than I would want to. Most likely I will keep it myself for at least 3 months after it is finished to make sure that I am happy with all aspects of it.

Well, you won't really have to put suction disks on their arms. :cuttle: 's arms have their suckers folded into their arms, so they won't normally be seen unless they are holding on to stuff.

joel_ang said:
Well, you won't really have to put suction disks on their arms. :cuttle: 's arms have their suckers folded into their arms, so they won't normally be seen unless they are holding on to stuff.

The most dynamic pictures I have seen so far do show top two arms raised and showing suckers, and that is the pose I would want to make one in. It would be helpful to find a dead one some day, one that I could poke a bit and take pictures of.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back