Giant Pacific sculpture and pics

joel_ang

Architeuthis
Registered
Reaction score
Well, you won't really have to put suction disks on their arms. :cuttle: 's arms have their suckers folded into their arms, so they won't normally be seen unless they are holding on to stuff.

pipsquek

Wonderpus
Registered
Reaction score
joel_ang said:
Well, you won't really have to put suction disks on their arms. :cuttle: 's arms have their suckers folded into their arms, so they won't normally be seen unless they are holding on to stuff.
The most dynamic pictures I have seen so far do show top two arms raised and showing suckers, and that is the pose I would want to make one in. It would be helpful to find a dead one some day, one that I could poke a bit and take pictures of.

joel_ang

Architeuthis
Registered
Reaction score
Want me to send wasabe when he dies :lol: ? Try doing a google image search on cuttlefish. There are quite a few in that 'pose' :wink:

Clem

Architeuthis
Registered
Reaction score
Pipsquek,

Your octopus is extraordinary. Congratulations.

Clem

pipsquek

Wonderpus
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I am about a month or so from finishing this piece that has been more of a ruling factor in my life than I ever came close to imagining. I had no idea when I started this thing that it would help me stay alive through amazingly bad times, and I had no idea that that was the case before I typed it here. WOW.

Anyway, I still have to finish quite a bit of detail work, the papalliae, wrinkles, etc., before I do the patina. But here is a pic of how he looked when I stopped working on him today.

His name is Big Red.

joel_ang

Architeuthis
Registered
Reaction score
He looks really great to me right now!

I'm quite curious as to how you're going to make the papillae.

Octoslave

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
Reaction score
Great sculpture!!!!

How big is the piece? I can't tell from the pictures.

Do you have photographs of your other works? or a website with pictures?

pipsquek

Wonderpus
Registered
Reaction score
It is about 3 1/2 ft tall, and 2 1/2 ft wide and deep. The only other sealife I have made in the last four years is a California Horn Shark, but I can't find the CD that has the pictures on it. I have made other things, fountains, mirrors, and some kinda kitchy stuff, but most of it has been trades for chiropractics, printing, etc. Website is in the near future, right after I finish Big Red, and someone who is willing to do it on trade. Big Red has been pretty expensive to make, and doesn't leave much time for paying pieces, but I recently quit my day job in order to do this full time. I am starting on an elephant head later this week, but that's a donation for auction to a local wild animal refuge. After that and Big Red are done, I plan on making a leafy she dragon, but it will be a mermaid, a leafy she-dragon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soviadat

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak

About the Monty Awards