Giant Pacific sculpture and pics

pipsquek

Wonderpus
Registered
Reaction score
I am a metal sculptor that works with copper and bronze. For the last three years I have been working on an octopus of quite some size. I never really expected that there would be a place that I could show it off where it would get the proper attention that the animal deserves, but then part of the reason I started it was to teach people about them. Anyway, it's not quite finished, but I though I would go ahead and put some pictures of it up on this site.

If anyone knows where I can find good pictures of hectocotylized arms I would greatly appreciate it. I have been looking for the last two years but have only found fuzzy, dark and grainy pictures. I am specifically looking for Giant Pacifics, but anything to help me get a better idea of them would be great.

Thanks.

um...

Architeuthis
Registered
Reaction score
:shock:

That is so cool. I'm really looking forward to photos of the completed masterpiece.

:notworth:

:welcome: , by the way.

um...

Architeuthis
Registered
Reaction score
You wouldn't happen to have made any other fabulous ceph (or other marine animal) sculptures, would you?

Phil

TONMO Supporter
Registered
Reaction score
Fantastic! Such talent......

Where do you intend to exhibit it, do you think?

pipsquek

Wonderpus
Registered
Reaction score
um... said:
You wouldn't happen to have made any other fabulous ceph (or other marine animal) sculptures, would you?
This is the first ceph I've done, but I have done other sealife for quite a while. The last piece that I finished was a California Horn Shark. I would like to make a cuttlefish, but I am having some trouble finding pictures of certain angles, especially how the suction disks are on the arms. My next project is probably going to be a leafy sea dragon, but as a mermaid. I have lots of good pics of them at various angles that I took at the Monterey Bay Aquarium. I would like to do an angel shark or a wobbegong as well, but again there is the problem of pictures. I spend about as much time looking for pics and reference material as I do welding.

pipsquek

Wonderpus
Registered
Reaction score
Phil said:
Fantastic! Such talent......

Where do you intend to exhibit it, do you think?
I don't know that I will. I have a few problems with galleries, and I haven't yet found one in this area that I feel comfortable with. And I would rather a person have it than an institution or muesem, even if it means talking much less for it than I than I would want to. Most likely I will keep it myself for at least 3 months after it is finished to make sure that I am happy with all aspects of it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mishoughthtr

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak

About the Monty Awards