Giant Humboldt Squid Encounter Trip Report for Jun ‘07.

TheSeaWolves

Hatchling
Registered
We have returned from our first Giant Humboldt Squid Encounter Dive of 07. Happy to say it was a success and our two clients were able to encounter squid from all sizes (a rare occasion). The first two days we spent off the Coronado Island and we found a bunch baby squid ranging from 1’ to about 2 ½ feet long. In 12 years of filming these beautiful squid, Scott has never seen such small baby squid. He loved it! Even though they were small, they were definitely feisty! The clients got to get in the water with them without the full gear on. Of course Scott was in the water first making sure that it was safe. To Scott’s painful surprise, a baby squid folded over and bit Scott hard on the little finger. Even the small ones are fully capable predators!
Our clients are Advanced Divers and did very well with the baby squid, so we decided to take them where the big boys are…Santa Rosalia!
Day 3, we rented a car and drove north 2.5 hours to Santa Rosalia.
We hired a Panga and fisherman to take us out to dive with squid. They have come to know Scott as the crazy gringo that dives with the calamar gigante.
Much to their credit our clients gear up in the chain mail suits during the hottest day of the trip without a complaint. The fisherman is speaking of large squid below and the need for diver protection armor was clear.
The water’s surface was covered with a bright green plankton bloom that reduced visibility to one foot, however, at 8 fsw it cleared up to over 20 feet of visibility.
Scott and our clients enter the water together and descend into the realm of the Red Demons.
Our clients performed 2 dives. The first dive they encountered several large squid, some at close range. Most of the Humboldt Squid encountered were between 5’-6’ long, (some in the 100 plus lbs range) and they were saying that they saw larger squid just below them but they would not come up.
One customer had yellow fins on and the squid found those quite enticing and they swam through his legs. He wasn’t real comfortable with a 100 lb Humboldt Squid hovering between his legs, but he enjoyed the experience and certainly will not forget it anytime soon. They captured some wonderful footage on their camera systems that they brought.
Despite the heat, they had a great time and saw large squid that less than 100 divers have ever seen!

Attachments

• conv_303065.jpg
    conv_303065.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 158
  • conv_303066.jpg
    conv_303066.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 152
  • conv_303067.jpg
    conv_303067.jpg
    446.3 KB · Views: 125
How exciting! I think that these are the most amazing creatures. I would love to dive with them, some day! Thanks for sharing your story!!!!

Did you guys see the documentary about the scientist ( I think) who dove with the humboldts and took down that tube that would flash red and the squid seemed to react readily to it. Do they seem to flash only when agitated or feeding? It's so interesting to watch their flash patterns.

cleopatra;113466 said:
Did you guys see the documentary about the scientist ( I think) who dove with the humboldts and took down that tube that would flash red and the squid seemed to react readily to it. Do they seem to flash only when agitated or feeding? It's so interesting to watch their flash patterns.

This is the first I've heard of it... any idea what channel it was on, what it's called, youtube link? Dr. Gilly's group and/or the MBARI folks seem like the most likely candidates for this, since the seawolves guys usually let us know when they've been involved in a documentary... Sounds like interesting stuff!

monty;113467 said:
This is the first I've heard of it... any idea what channel it was on, what it's called, youtube link? Dr. Gilly's group and/or the MBARI folks seem like the most likely candidates for this, since the seawolves guys usually let us know when they've been involved in a documentary... Sounds like interesting stuff!

This is the Youtube link:

I saw this on TV and then found it on youtube...it's amazing! :sink:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back