Giant and Colossal Squid Size Chart

modelnut

O. vulgaris
Registered
I'm thinking of maybe possibly one day doing a sculpture of a colossal and giant squid. So to get my head around how big they would be I made a size chart based on size estimates found in Wikipedia. Please let me know if these sizes are appropriate, too big, too small, whatever. OK?

- Leelan
24thgridSquidwBus_zps0c3931cd.png

Cool! Good luck! It's hard to measure up to the chart you have here... feels like your cephs are a bit big but not outrageously so.

That balloon squid should never have been created in my opinion *facepalm*.

Hey modenut. Your size chart might be over representing the squid a tad. Firstly, an adult giant squid is longer than a colossal squid (which is heavier). That is probably the biggest important change to take note of. 14 meters is pretty big for a Colossal squid. In the DA image it was noted that the mantle of the squid was a little over 2 meters. This is a really good estimate of the size of most of the squid we have examined thus far (although not all) and I would use those numbers as a reference for own scale. Note that in most images that tentacles are usually about the same length as the mantle, so your CS in that instance would probably be between 4-5 meters total length. This is (of course) completely hypothetical, as we do not know the maximum size that the CS gets to. One of life's great mysteries.
So, I would say that your size estimates may need to be scaled down a bit to become more realistic.

colossalsquiddiag.jpg

Is this better? My computer art skills are not much. I scavenge images on the Net and adapt them to get an idea of what a model or sculpture might look like. Any advice is welcome. Pixels are cheaper and easier to alter than clay.

You're a lot closer now. CS could probably be half a meter larger, and according to reports that I found... the GS mantle length is pretty accurate... but it seems there is more of a size difference between the two than there should be. Let me look into a few more studies and get back to ya. I want to make sure I help you get these as accurate as possible. :smile:

Another ceph-head from Facebook suggests I go 1/3 larger on both. So I did just for sh*ts-and-giggles. But I can enlarge or shrink to any size on the computer.

10325657_772049616176744_2648769161137818880_n.jpg

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back