Giant and Colossal Squid Size Chart | The Octopus News Magazine Online
  • Thanks for visiting! TONMO is the world's greatest online cephalopod enthusiast community, with interactive content going back to May of 2000, and a biennial conference. If you'd like to join in on the fun, become a TONMO member -- it's easy and free. Follow us on Facebook and Twitter for more cephy goodness.

Giant and Colossal Squid Size Chart

modelnut

O. vulgaris
Registered
I'm thinking of maybe possibly one day doing a sculpture of a colossal and giant squid. So to get my head around how big they would be I made a size chart based on size estimates found in Wikipedia. Please let me know if these sizes are appropriate, too big, too small, whatever. OK?

- Leelan

tonmo

Titanites
Staff member
Webmaster
Cool! Good luck! It's hard to measure up to the chart you have here... feels like your cephs are a bit big but not outrageously so.

modelnut

O. vulgaris
Registered
The colossal is 14 meters and the giant is 13. Sordes drew the colossal for his Deviantart page. http://bestiarius.deviantart.com/#/art/Colossal-Squid-Mesonychoteuthis-hamiltoni-355087525?hf=1

And the proportions look right for this animal.

I got my figures from Wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colossal_squid which puts the colossal max size at 14 meters. I figured if I was going to sculpt one I might as well go big. But it's nothing but pixels at the moment. Now would be the time to make changes.

- Leelan

GPO87

Sepia elegans
Staff member
That balloon squid should never have been created in my opinion *facepalm*.

Hey modenut. Your size chart might be over representing the squid a tad. Firstly, an adult giant squid is longer than a colossal squid (which is heavier). That is probably the biggest important change to take note of. 14 meters is pretty big for a Colossal squid. In the DA image it was noted that the mantle of the squid was a little over 2 meters. This is a really good estimate of the size of most of the squid we have examined thus far (although not all) and I would use those numbers as a reference for own scale. Note that in most images that tentacles are usually about the same length as the mantle, so your CS in that instance would probably be between 4-5 meters total length. This is (of course) completely hypothetical, as we do not know the maximum size that the CS gets to. One of life's great mysteries.
So, I would say that your size estimates may need to be scaled down a bit to become more realistic.

modelnut

O. vulgaris
Registered
Is this better? My computer art skills are not much. I scavenge images on the Net and adapt them to get an idea of what a model or sculpture might look like. Any advice is welcome. Pixels are cheaper and easier to alter than clay.

GPO87

Sepia elegans
Staff member
You're a lot closer now. CS could probably be half a meter larger, and according to reports that I found... the GS mantle length is pretty accurate... but it seems there is more of a size difference between the two than there should be. Let me look into a few more studies and get back to ya. I want to make sure I help you get these as accurate as possible. :)

modelnut

O. vulgaris
Registered
Another ceph-head from Facebook suggests I go 1/3 larger on both. So I did just for sh*ts-and-giggles. But I can enlarge or shrink to any size on the computer.

Members online

No members online now.

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV: Terri
TONMOCON V: Jean
TONMOCON VI: Taollan
TONMOCON VII: ekocak

About the Monty Awards