Giant and Colossal Squid Size Chart

Discussion in 'The Octopus' Den' started by modelnut, Nov 27, 2014.

1. modelnut

modelnut O. vulgaris Registered

I'm thinking of maybe possibly one day doing a sculpture of a colossal and giant squid. So to get my head around how big they would be I made a size chart based on size estimates found in Wikipedia. Please let me know if these sizes are appropriate, too big, too small, whatever. OK?

- Leelan
    [​IMG]

2. modelnut

3. tonmo

tonmo Titanites Staff Member Webmaster Moderator

Cool! Good luck! It's hard to measure up to the chart you have here... feels like your cephs are a bit big but not outrageously so.

4. modelnut

The colossal is 14 meters and the giant is 13. Sordes drew the colossal for his Deviantart page. http://bestiarius.deviantart.com/#/art/Colossal-Squid-Mesonychoteuthis-hamiltoni-355087525?hf=1[​IMG]

And the proportions look right for this animal. [​IMG]

I got my figures from Wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colossal_squid which puts the colossal max size at 14 meters. I figured if I was going to sculpt one I might as well go big. But it's nothing but pixels at the moment. Now would be the time to make changes.

- Leelan

5. modelnut

There is also this museum exhibit. The colossal looks like a balloon!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. modelnut

Found these sketches online as well.[​IMG]

7. GPO87

GPO87 Sepia elegans Staff Member Moderator

That balloon squid should never have been created in my opinion *facepalm*.

Hey modenut. Your size chart might be over representing the squid a tad. Firstly, an adult giant squid is longer than a colossal squid (which is heavier). That is probably the biggest important change to take note of. 14 meters is pretty big for a Colossal squid. In the DA image it was noted that the mantle of the squid was a little over 2 meters. This is a really good estimate of the size of most of the squid we have examined thus far (although not all) and I would use those numbers as a reference for own scale. Note that in most images that tentacles are usually about the same length as the mantle, so your CS in that instance would probably be between 4-5 meters total length. This is (of course) completely hypothetical, as we do not know the maximum size that the CS gets to. One of life's great mysteries.
    So, I would say that your size estimates may need to be scaled down a bit to become more realistic.

[​IMG]

8. modelnut

9. modelnut

Is this better? My computer art skills are not much. I scavenge images on the Net and adapt them to get an idea of what a model or sculpture might look like. Any advice is welcome. Pixels are cheaper and easier to alter than clay.

10. GPO87

You're a lot closer now. CS could probably be half a meter larger, and according to reports that I found... the GS mantle length is pretty accurate... but it seems there is more of a size difference between the two than there should be. Let me look into a few more studies and get back to ya. I want to make sure I help you get these as accurate as possible. :)

11. GPO87

@Tintenfisch for a second opinion? You've seen a few more of these than I have, and could probably give a more accurate report.

12. modelnut

Another ceph-head from Facebook suggests I go 1/3 larger on both. So I did just for sh*ts-and-giggles. But I can enlarge or shrink to any size on the computer.

[​IMG]