• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

ghost shrimp

The rule of thumb is that saltwater creatures should be fed saltwater foods as their regular food. Most of us use shore shrimp, a brackish water equivalent to the freshwater ghosts. That being said, there is debate about a number of freshwater animals that are closely related to their saltwater cousins. Ghost shrimp, freshwater mysis (PE and Hikari frozen mysis are freshwater animals and commonly fed to young cephs) and crayfish are the list that come to mind where we don't have a definitive answer about how healthy they would be as a daily feed item. What is known is that the live freshwater animals will not survive long in a salt tank and should not be left in the tank if not eaten immediately.

Most tonmoers have heard me rant on about this :grad::old: The best food for saltwater critters are other saltwater critters! The protein to fat ratios are off in FW animals (too much fat, not enough protein) for a group of animals (cephs) which have protein based metabolisms and little to no way of dealing with fats. FW can be given as a treat much like we eat candy, tastes good but isn't really very good for us!

J

Jean;140070 said:
Most tonmoers have heard me rant on about this :grad::old: The best food for saltwater critters are other saltwater critters! The protein to fat ratios are off in FW animals (too much fat, not enough protein) for a group of animals (cephs) which have protein based metabolisms and little to no way of dealing with fats. FW can be given as a treat much like we eat candy, tastes good but isn't really very good for us!

J

This certainly sounds good in theory but then why is PE mysis such a good food?

Not so much cephs in particular (my cuttlefish do eat it), but many marine fish including my own have basically ate it exclusively for 2+ years and lived very healthy lives in that time.

Jean;140070 said:

J
so what all of you are saying is shore shrimp are good for semi adult to adult and mysis and brine are for hatchlings
right?

Brine are NOT good as food for much of anything. New hatch, less than 12 hours old have a food sack that has some value and they may be helpful in attacting new hatch cuttles to look for food but they have little to no food value, adult brine have almost none and are pretty much only good for delivering artificially gut loaded food.

dwhatley;140093 said:
Brine are NOT good as food for much of anything. New hatch, less than 12 hours old have a food sack that has some value and they may be helpful in attacting new hatch cuttles to look for food but they have little to no food value, adult brine have almost none and are pretty much only good for delivering artificially gut loaded food.

so mysis shrimp should do. Ive been reading a ton about cuttle care:read: i just wanted to get opinion

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back