• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Ghost Shrimp First Food?

Hello.
I have been researching breeding the dwarf cuttlefish for a long time now and I believe I am ready to give it a go except I had one question. Could baby saltwater ghost shrimp be used as a first food instead of mysid shrimp? Thanks in advance.

Most people I think will tell you no... However. If you find the really smallest shore shrimp or ghost shrimp(i'm talking 1/8th inch - 1/4th inch) they might take them...

But I would really recommend just buying atleast one batch of 100 Mysis. If you live in florida and are close to Paul Sachs you should have no trouble getting them for relatively cheap... The big problem for mysis and shore shrimp for me was the shipping.

Also, How many cuttles you planning to keep? 100 mysis would probably last 2-3 cuttles untill you can get them onto the very smallest shore shrimp.

Thanks for the input guys.
Thales:Enough is not a problem because I live be the intercoastal water way here and I can catch hundreds in an hour. Then I take them home and throw them in the sump of my reef tank and they just keep multiplying. Then when I get to many I feed them to my fish, anemones, and corals. It just seemed to me that the babies are REALLY small.
Kerrick: Thanks for the advice. When the time comes I may try that idea of the 100 mysid. I was planing on going kind of big on this eventually and possibly making some profit in suppling my area with dwarf cuttles.

Good luck man! Look forward to seeing your progress. Don't forget to do a journal. Maybe we can trade eggs at some point!

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back