• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Getting To Know Me

My Pregnant Lady

Thanks for the splainin' Lucy.

Here are some photos of the pregnant octopus I cared for back in the early part of the year 2000 :old:

Attachments

• conv_295888.jpg
    conv_295888.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 99
  • conv_295889.jpg
    conv_295889.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 87
  • conv_295890.jpg
    conv_295890.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 97
  • conv_295891.jpg
    conv_295891.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 84
More pix of the pregnant lady and her kids.:old:

Attachments

• conv_295895.jpg
    conv_295895.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 73
  • conv_295894.jpg
    conv_295894.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 101
  • conv_295893.jpg
    conv_295893.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 72
  • conv_295892.jpg
    conv_295892.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 89
Thanks for the info. Fortunately I will not have to dig around in the rocks. My son keeps seeing them all the time at one of his fishing spots and catches them quite easily. So when I get my tanl cycled I just have to let him know and he will provide.

I am planning on stealing your photo idea, just to let you know :sagrin: I am overdue to get Tony a photo so I can officially join the staff ranks and have been dragging my feet. New hair cut, new makeup this week (for an interview) along with a photo idea may finally get me motivated to try something interesting for the requisit photo.

Yes, she was a beautiful bimac. It is so sad that they must die after toiling so hard to keep the eggs viable. It is so sad that such an intelligent animal has such a short life span. Who knows how much they may develop if they lived ten or twenty years. Now, is that an idea for a movie, or what?

ChrisMohrSr;149446 said:
Yes, she was a beautiful bimac. It is so sad that they must die after toiling so hard to keep the eggs viable. It is so sad that such an intelligent animal has such a short life span. Who knows how much they may develop if they lived ten or twenty years. Now, is that an idea for a movie, or what?

Ya think about if they lived the same age as us we would be the ones hiding under rocks hoping we werent put in little air bubbles for them to watch us run around and stuff.

bluespotocto;149449 said:
Ya think about if they lived the same age as us we would be the ones hiding under rocks hoping we werent put in little air bubbles for them to watch us run around and stuff.

I'm thinking George Cooney as the scientist who discovers how to extend the life span of an octopus and the usual consequences that occur when one tampers with nature. Clooney's hot right now what with his Academy Award nomination. Of couse it would be in 3D with James Cameron directing.

:old:Here are some pictures of the home of my future baby octopus. Tommorrow I expect to buy a few hermit crabs to start cycling this tank.

Attachments

• conv_295921.jpg
    conv_295921.jpg
    823.6 KB · Views: 113
  • conv_295922.jpg
    conv_295922.jpg
    810 KB · Views: 132
  • conv_295923.jpg
    conv_295923.jpg
    240.8 KB · Views: 105
  • conv_295924.jpg
    conv_295924.jpg
    560.9 KB · Views: 103
bluespotocto;149695 said:
Since you are planing on keeping a bimac you will want to try and keep the temp under 70 degrees f. I keep my little buddy at a cool 60 degrees f.

I have kept three bimacs at about 75 degrees with no apparent ill affects or discomfort. However, I agree that 60 degrees might be more comfortable for the animal, but in my case that would take a chiller and my Social Security check can't make the cost. Do you know where I could obtain a chiller at a reasonable Social Security price?

Well my chiller is a aqua euro usa chiller 1/13 hp. I got that one for about $300 and it keeps my 75 gallon at 60 degrees f. Since yours is only a 20 gallon(i think) You could get a ice probe which you can find for like $50(if i am wrong some one correct me please). That would at least help it stay possibly under 70 degrees f. You could also just turn your air conditioning down really low, but that would most likely raise your heating and cooling bill to more then a an affordable chiller. Check all the salt water fish stores online and they usually have deals for them every now and then.

The ice probe might work (and would certainly help) depending upon the heat from other equipment (I have used one on an 8 gallon) but unfortunately, the controller is another $50 and you would have to drill the glass. The cheapest aid would be a fan blowing over the top of the tank but you will only get a 2-4 degrees below ambient from the evaporation.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back