• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

getting started

well i finaly have every thing i need i hope 55gal tank sump skimmer lights sand and lr i also have some old lr that has been sittin around for a while can i just throw that in there for the cycle being it would give the tank a bit of ammonia from the dead stuff on it and if so would it become live from being in there with live rock thanks 4 any info

What is the storage history of the "old" live rock? Has it #1 been kept wet, #2 has water been circulating around it. If #1 is yes then it is likely of some use to your cycle. If #2 is yes then the rock is likely still in decent shape for positive bacteria. If #1 is, no then I would scrub it heavily and remove all that you can since you likely add more nitrates than get benefit from anything left on the rock. You can still use it in any case but if it is no longer live, it will take about a year for your tank to benefit from the filtration it will ultimately provide.

If it is dry, it needs a good wet scrubbing (I would soak it overnight before cleaning). Using your water change water is a good idea to prevent chlorine and other water treatment chemicals but saltwater or RO/DI freshwater doesn't make any difference at this point. It will eventually become LR in the tank (some people prefer to start with dead rock). Ken (Sealifeinc.net) does not pull even his base rock until a good year in the ocean. Of particular concern would be any sponge dried on the rock so remove anything that looks like it was alive.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back