• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Getting Started with Keeping Cuttlefish

jaytrep55

Hatchling
Registered
hi, peeps. im new to this website. my goldfish:goldfish: died a little while ago:sad:(i had him for 5 or 6 years, too), and i won another at a carnival, but he hd fin rot and died. now im thinking about a new kind of fish, and the first thing that popped into my head was exotic. so i wanted a pet cuttlefish. i need to know how 2 take care of one and how to set up their tanks.:cuttle:

Jay,
Welcome to TONMO. If cuttlefish interest you, there is a LOT to lean about keeping a saltwater aquarium first before you can successfully keep a cuttlefish. Since you have not yet maintained a saltwater aquarium, you will need to start there. Saltwater is quite different from freshwater and a large enough aquarium for a cuttlefish will require far more time, equipment and money than a small goldfish tank that can be easily cleaned and renewed.

It will take about a year to read, learn, setup and become comfortable with keeping a saltwater environment. To start, visit a reef forum that has a newbie section. One of the more popular is Reef Central to get a basic feel for all the equipment you will have to buy and weekly maintenance requirements. If, after doing a little reading, you remain interested in entering the saltwater world, find a current book that explains how the filteration works and gives suggestions on set-ups. While you are learning, retun to TONMO to read some of the journals of our current keepers so that you will be gaining cuttle specific information. You will find our journaled cuttlefish linked in the List of Our Cuttlefish 2009-2011 post in the Cuttlefish Care forum.

I'd say octopus. Squid are near impossible to keep and cuttlefish are expensive at the beginning. But, read up on here before you decide anything.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back