Gettin' ready

m8298

Cuttlefish
Registered
Hi there...

I just joined this forum. I have been doing a lot of reading about octopus on the net lately, and I keep ending up back here. I am not at all new to keeping a salt-water aquarium. I have a 90 gallon reef and I just bought and set up a 12 gallon NanoCube tank. Originally I planned to use the NanoCube for sea horses, until I noticed a Bimac octopus at one of my favorite fish stores. The octopus that they are calling a Bimaculatus is really small, it's mantle is smaller than a grape. I'd guess the tenacle spread to be about three inches.

All they could tell me is that they have a short life span, which I was already aware, and that it won't get much bigger. My first question is if it is a Bimac, how much bigger will it get? Second question is, I know identification is tough, is there a way to positively identify a Bimac? And last, I know that a reef tank is not the best place for an octopus, and I fear that this 12 gallon NanoCube is too small, what size tank do I need? I really want a Bimac. I am really thinking about getting one of the little guys for this 12 gallon. I have gone so far as to set it up with water and filtration from my reef tank, so that it is established. I also stole two chucks of live rock from my reef tank, one of which has a big opening and seems like it would be a wonderful den. Right now, the only reason I hesitate is the size of the tank. I keep thinking that because they are so tiny right now, I'd be alright for a while.

Im quite sure that they just got their bimacs mixed up... dont think i have ever had a confirmed report of someone keeping 'latus

size of tank will be a problem real soon!!! 12 gal = about 3 months use tops!!!

perhaps you cant point your lfs to this site for more info, a bimac could live for 16 - 18 months if kept right and get to a few lbs in weight!

:welcome: to TONMO.com

Ok then, is live rock really as big of concern as it is made out to be with a Bimac, as far as possible tank breaking or injury to the Bimac? I understand the concerns about corals and anenome. My 90 gallon reef has 100 pounds of live rock in it. I thought about trading in my corals, but I'd rather not get rid of the live rock. And I don't really have the money, or room for another whole tank setup.

Welcome! Something's unclear - live rock seems to be in all the tanks. Look at the tank directory (link from the homepage) to see what kinds of set ups people have with regard to equipment, size, co-habitants and amounts of live rock.

Good luck!

Melissa

Live rock should be ok with both species. bt the rock breaking the glass after the octo keeps moving around is a possibility. I've had a cuttle get squashed by a piece of rock which fell down.

Thanks...

The tank I am considering is currently a 90 gallon reef with 100 pounds of live rock. I don't have a lot of corals right now, and I'd even consider trading them in since they don't go well with an octopus. I am just paranoid that the octopus would get hurt or smash the glass. Is that a common occurance? Is there a good way to secure live rock, I don't think it should be glued. Another concern I have with using that tank is, I have a plenum in the sand. It's secured under there pretty well, it's basically nylon screen and pvc under a couple inches of crushed aragonite and another couple inches of fine aragonite sand. Then, like I said, there is 100 pouinds of LR on top of it.

Also, I am now considering a Bimac from Octopets.com, I see that some of you have purchased them there. I like the idea that they are cultured, so I know how old they are and that they are indeed Bimacs. Do they ship well? Should I be concerned about getting one that won't eat?

Hello, even with a wild caught, it's rare to have one refuse to eat after it acclimates. My last bimac was a wild caught from fishsupply. I've got one arriving today from octopets. These companies are very responsible with their shipping and seem to really care about the octopuses. I'll let you know how well the new bimac was packed once it arrives. This one will be cultured, so I would expect it to acclimate and feed even better than the last. I have never heard of an actual tank breaking because of a bimac moving live rock. The main thing is to make sure the rock is relatively secure and is touching the glass bottom of the tank. The reason for that is bimacs like to move all the sand out of their burrow. When they start blowing sand out from under the rocks they can give way. I would definitely order an octopus instead of impusle buying one when it pops up at the store. How much was the one at the store? My new octo is being shipped across the country overnight and the total is only $55, which is very cheap for such an unbelievable pet. Let me know if you have any more questions. John

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back