g'day

Hi, I'm Rebecca, a 27yo science student at the School of Aquaculture, University of Tasmania, Australia. Currently doing my PhD on Atlantic salmon (long story), but have an obsession with squid. Really glad I found this website to interact with other like-minded people. :smile:

Hiya there Rebecca - great to have you onboard. Hmmmmmm .... Atlantic, South Pacific ... I can see how this would be a long story. You've made a great choice of locals to study all the same - Tasmania is magnificent, and you have some pretty great people there!!

Are you actually looking at salmon aquaculture? There's a lot of overlap between this and squid. You've met Natalie M & George J haven't you? They're top-dollar folk!!

There's always scope to expand your horizons somewhat, and work on squid as a hobby (whilst doing your actual doctoral research).

Me (of indeterminate age)

Welcome to Tonmo, Rebecca...glad you found us ! Salmon are indeed fascinating , I can understand the study !
greg

Thanks for such a warm welcome

I know Nat very well, and George pretty well. I started my honours with Natalie looking at the respiratory anatomy of Idiosepius pygmaeus. You tend to be taught by fish biologists that fish are superior to squid. However when you look at the niches that squid occupy and the fact that the smallest squid is about 2cm and the largest around 18m, how can you call them inferior? I was looking at respiratory anatomy to contend Pauly's suggetsion that squid cannot have linear growth. He said that the gills could not support the metabolism required for linear growth. I found otherwise.
I'm sure Steve would be a better person to ask science squid stuff, but I do spend my spare time trying to keep up-to-date in the developments of cephalopod research. So if I can help, I will.

rvangeld said:
... You tend to be taught by fish biologists that fish are superior to squid. ....
Cough

rvangeld said:
... but I do spend my spare time trying to keep up-to-date in the developments of cephalopod research. So if I can help, I will....

I'd be very interested in any info on respiratory anatomy of squid and/or octopus in the Physiology & Biology forum, as would a number of others online; it's not the sort of thing with which I'm familiar, and could definitely do with an intro (leading on to greater detail). Perhaps you could even write a wee article for us (this would be great) explaining what it is you did and what you found.

So, you started off with cephs and moved into fish? Bizarre!

Double welcome!
Me

no probs

An article won't be that hard to put togther. Also I can include what I did for my honours.
I told you it was a long story about how I got to Atlantic salmon :razz:

Leave it with me....I'll have it soon enough.

Hi Rebecca and :welcome:

I'm one of George's students (actually he probably thinks I've fallen off the face of the earth, cos I haven't contacted him in months :oops: ) I was lucky enough to spend some time (a month) at IASOS a couple of years ago, decided I quite like what I saw of Tassie. Do you spend any time at TAFI down at Taroona?

Didn't make it as far as Launceston, but I've met Nat a couple of times (in fact I had to give a presentation at a conference in Townsville, sandwiched between her and George........which is where you learn how you should give a presentation!!!)

Cheers

Jean (across the Ditch in NZ)

Hi Jean

Unfortunately I don'y spend any time in Taroona. I have been there twice for single day conferences for the Atlantic Salmon Subprogram. Tasmania is a really great place to live; relaxed and laid back and a really great enviroment to explore. Launceston is probably not as good as other places around Tassie except for the Gorge. Definately the best place in Launceston and a must if you ever get back here.
I was in Townsville (did my undergrad at JCU) for 4 years between 1995 and 1998. When where you there? What conference?

Between Geroge and Natalie huh? That would have been a challenge!
:smile:

rvangeld said:
Tasmania is a really great place to live; relaxed and laid back and a really great enviroment to explore. Launceston is probably not as good as other places around Tassie except for the Gorge. Definately the best place in Launceston and a must if you ever get back here.

Will keep that in mind!

rvangeld said:
I was in Townsville (did my undergrad at JCU) for 4 years between 1995 and 1998. When where you there? What conference?

2001, the combined NZ and Aust Marine Science Society annual conference! Did you ever meet Vanessa Herneman (or Craig, she changed her name!) ? She was my office mate and was studying the gobies on Lizard Island with Howard.

rvangeld said:
Between Geroge and Natalie huh? That would have been a challenge!
:smile:

Oh yeah! but I survived!

J

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back