G'day from Gumbaynggir

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Dreadom, May 20, 2013.

1. Dreadom

Dreadom Larval Mass Registered

G'day folks, I have had marine tanks for the last three years, been a diver my whole life in fact my first memory was snorkeling at Clovelly with my dad just before my 3rd birthday. I love diving and interacting with cephalopods they have always been my favourite sea creature. I have always wanted to keep one, but stuck with fish an dcoral. Then by chance last Friday night walking my dog I met some kids who had just caught a very small Gloomy and were deciding which was the best way to hook it to use as live bait. I suggested a better option was to give it to me and offered them $5. So I came home and turned my basically empty quarantine tank into my new Octopus enclosure.

I had looked at this sight previously but mostly look at MASA, but as of Friday I had a reason to join. Thanks to all those who have posted I have already learnt a great deal.

D

Nancy likes this.
  2. haggs

haggs Vampyroteuthis Supporter

welcome ... you must live very close to me, unless my directions are way out.

Nancy and DWhatley like this.
  3. DWhatley

DWhatley Cthulhu Staff Member Moderator

:welcome: to TONMO!

OH! Please, Please journal this little guy (and thanks for saving him). We have a few very short journals of people trying to keep older Gloomys and Haggs has journaled several in situ he has observed at Coffs (and I got to see two there and two in Port MacQuarie ! :grin:) but no one has started with a small guy in a tank.

4. Dreadom

Dreadom Larval Mass Registered

Cheers folks, yes just down the road from Haggs, at Nambucca Heads. I have taken a couple pics and will try and set up a journal. So far he seems pretty happy, he comes out of his rock to watch me watch him- already playing hide and seek with me. I was concerned about feeding him, although everything seems ok- he has decimated the tanks clean up crew of snails and I have caught a few crabs which I have released into the tank- so far no evidence has found them yet, I will collect some more tomorrow and try to hand feed him.

5. Nancy

Nancy Titanites Staff Member Moderator

Hi, and welcome to the site!
    What a heartwarming story - you saved an octopus.
    We're looking forward to your journal and photos of your new octo.

Nancy