G'Day from Down Under

Hi, Have had salt water tanks on and off for a few years and had an Occy for a short time when I was a teenager. My kids are teenagers now and have custom built a tank for them. My daughter caught a O. tetricus (Gloomy Octopus, common to the Australian east coast) which has been in the tank for 2 days. Will try to feed him, her, it tonight (have been trying to look). Each leg is just over 30cm or 1 foot, giving the the Occy of over a 2 foot span. Mature they can grow up to 2 meters or 6 feet plus.

Happy to chat.

Nigel

Attachments

• conv_304601.jpg
    conv_304601.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 127
:welcome:Please keep an active journal on this one! I have wondered how they would do in an aquarium. We have had a couple journaled that were observed (Situ and Situ Two) in the wild but none in a tank and Haggs (Coffs Harbor) has not recorded any lately.

Another thread you will likely want to view is JuggleMatt's Octopus Living in Groups. I think Matt's octos are the larger of the two that look similar if I have my readings straight.

Ha, Just feed him her it. Dangled a Banna Prawn (4 inch shrimp) 5 sec came out of the hole and grabed it. Have droped a few black mussels for it to play with, but has mostly ignored them so far. Seems pretty happy.

Have you had a chance to look at the other two Gloomy posts (the words in blue are links to the mentioned posts)?

A good appetite is a good sign.

Welcome from down under to down under, I have fed them black mussels before, but I usually crack or break them open.

DWhatley;185781 said:
......... and Haggs (Coffs Harbor) has not recorded any lately.

* D ... last summer we had several hot, calm days and it killed off all the snail life in several places and life is now starting to come back to normal. I'm hoping that it wont be long before another octopus moves back into these areas and claim it as their home.

Hey Nigel,

Curious, how deep did you dive to play with that cuttle? Never went scuba diving; must be neat.

You can simply start your own thread in our Octopus Journals and Photos forum. You can browse around there to get an idea of how other members manage them.

FYI, members who are Supporters can also create their own blogs, which I think are pretty cool and have a lot of potential, but it does take a bit of dedication to create, customize and manage one.

Hi Tonmo,

Diving is very cool, best cephalopod encounter was two giant cuttles mating. At more than 2 meters each it was fantastic lasted for 20min they danced and moved in unison ...... will never forget it.

Was in 5 meters of water, the littel ones are great you can get very close if you go slow and are still.

thanks

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back