Fundamentals of inspirations from octopus biology to flexible robotics

DWhatley

Certified Ceph Head For Life
Staff member
http://www.octopusproject.eu/files/OCTOPUS_IP_D2.1_300409.pdf

Grant Agreement number: 231608 Project acronym: OCTOPUS Project title: Novel Design Principles and Technologies for a New Generation of High Dexterity Soft-bodied Robots Inspired by the Morphology and Behaviour of the Octopus

Funding Scheme: Large Scale
Integrating Project Deliverable Number: D2.1
Title of Deliverable: Fundamentals of inspirations from octopus biology to flexible robotics

WP related to the Deliverable:
WP2 - Analysis of existing relevant knowledge on the octopus Due Date: April 30, 2009

CaptFish

Colossal Squid
Staff member
wow that sounds extremely interesting. I would love to have a robot octopus. Heck i would love to have any robot!

The information on the anatomy of the sucker and arm is fascinating.

Good find!

DWhatley

Certified Ceph Head For Life
Staff member
You have to thank Level_Head for that find. I was looking for a reference on how the octos biology works to stop bleeding almost instantly. I did not find what I was looking for (recommendations solicited) but did come across the article.

Level_Head

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
I'd looked at the beginning of this paper a while back, and expected it to pertain mostly to the mechanics for the benefit of constructing robotic analogues. It's a very nice recap of what's known about cephalopod (mostly octopus) brain organization, as well as intricate detail about how the arm works with nice sectional views.

A good find indeed, and thanks for reminding me not to skip over something based on first impression!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Girliness

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak