• TONMOCON VII Announced | MBL at Woods Hole | Apr 6-8, 2018
  • Thanks for visiting! TONMO is the world's greatest online cephalopod enthusiast community, with interactive content going back to May of 2000, and a biennial conference. If you'd like to join in on the fun, become a TONMO member -- it's easy and free. You can follow us on Facebook and Twitter for more cephy goodness.

From YouTube: Is this T. danae?

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Oct 19, 2003
As far as I can tell, it's the real deal, Tani, if only for the fact that an "excited" Taningia has a severe lights fetish, which is what drew this individual to the ROV in the first place..... The only other big finned candidate that I could think of would be Thysanoteuthis rhombus, which has a very different set of arm pair lengths, compared to your namesake and doesn't match the video.

Larger Pacific Striped Octopus
Nov 20, 2002
Awesome, thanks so much, Ob! There seems to be a paucity of Taningia danae vids online, other than that spectacular classic on the SeaWiFS site -- which isn't really a video, just a Java-enhanced still. So it was fantastic to find this relatively lengthy close-up on YouTube.

I wasn't aware that my glorious siblings were so attracted to lights.... I wonder what (if any) evolutionary advantage that "fetish" might carry. After all, a big glaring artificial light looks nothing like bioluminescence, so I don't see how it could be mistaken for either a potential mate or a predator. Interesting!

If anyone finds any more Taningia danae vids, please post the links.... would love to check 'em out.

~ Tani the D ~

Members online