Freshwater octos just a hoax?

Theirs....

I was thinking of a Scientific American article on breeding for human longevity which said that one way to do it was to wait longer before reproducing, thus allowing more time for deleterious mutations to express themselves and prevent reproduction.. after 10 generations or so, your descendents will see an increase in lifespan.

So, 10 generations will probably let us see an increase in tolerance of low-salinity environments in octo's.

I want an octopus that can live in tap water and eat table scraps. Speaking of lifespan, I'd also like to have a more K-strategist type of octopus that wouldn't die right after having kids.

um... said:
I want an octopus that can live in tap water and eat table scraps. Speaking of lifespan, I'd also like to have a more K-strategist type of octopus that wouldn't die right after having kids.

Why not go for broke, and breed one to do your laundry, pay your taxes, and give you backrubs? (oh, and write your thesis, for all those academics out there....)

:mrgreen:

monty said:
(oh, and write your thesis, for all those academics out there....)
Thanks Monty!

*grabs pen and paper*
Dear Santa
You can drop the various sharp implements, the 10 gallons of napalm and the sniper rifle... I now know what I really want for Xmas...

TPOTH

monty said:
Randomly Generated Paper Accepted to Conference - Slashdot

Maybe I would have done better as a grad student with this approach :roll:

Unfortunately I heard that the conference since rescinded the acceptance. They claimed they had accepted it because they had ran out of time to review it and didn't think it was fair to reject an un-reviewed abstract. Which I think is unfair to the authors that were reviewed.

Dan

DHyslop said:
Unfortunately I heard that the conference since rescinded the acceptance. They claimed they had accepted it because they had ran out of time to review it and didn't think it was fair to reject an un-reviewed abstract. Which I think is unfair to the authors that were reviewed.

Dan

Although I can understand them being embarassed at accepting it, that seems like it just makes them look worse (bad sports, as well as the unfairness you mentioned...) Then again, I thought that the conference looked pretty bogus to begin with... the conference page
http://www.iiisci.org/sci2005/website/default.asp
has a lot in common with the randomly generated article!

monty said:
Then again, I thought that the conference looked pretty bogus to begin with... the conference page
has a lot in common with the randomly generated article!

I believe that was precisely the reason they sent it there!

Dan

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back