• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Fresh caught Food

Hello all,
My new octo seems to like live food the best. I am fortunate to live near the ocean where crabs and hermits are abundant. I'm leary about putting foreign things in my tank. The LFS has suggested that I sterilize them in either Medi-coral or Lugols solution by Brightwell aquatics and that should do the trick. Where I go seems to be fairly clean water and heavy tides that refesh the area often. I have seen a lot of posts for or against fresh caught, but none that I have seen mention medication. Would either of these products do the trick and keep my octo and tank safe or do you have a recommended product? Thanks in advance.
Brian
PS - I'll post pics or videos soon and see if I can get an ID request as well.

Do you catch your shrimp close to the shore, or out on your boat? I think If Heavy Metals were to be a problem it would be close to the shore.

Tidepool location

If I start doing it, I would be catching them in the tidepools that are fairly far away from cities, ports, beaches or boating lanes. It seems to be a clean area with no odd smells, trash in the water etc and a good tide that refreshes the water often. Is there any tests I can do on the water to see the heavy metal content (cheap)? If anyone is familiar with the LA CA area, I. usually go to Palos Verdes a few miles north of the Cabrio Marine museum in San Pedro.

Quarantine is always a good way to start. Generally speaking, adding meds causes more damage than good but I do use Lugos Iodine as an additive (in far lower quantities than recommended) for my mantis tanks once a month and occassionally add it sparingly to my other tanks without damaging anything. Medi-Coral sounds like snake oil but I have never looked at it. What are the contents?

I don't think you have anything to worry about feeding local crustaceans to cephs. QT them for a couple days dong 100% water changes and you should be fine. I wouldn't bother with any treatments, and would be more worried about them killing or 'toxifying' the live food.
Is there something specific you are worried about adding to your tank?

No real tests for the metal content, and it sounds like where you are thinking about collecting sounds pretty clean.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back