• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Freaking out about having to plumb my soon to be new set up!

Sure you could put the stand over/on top of a sump that is too large to go through the door, but it will be trapped in there for life, so be aware of the door size restrictions before you order one.

This was a definite problem with our 140 pent. We considered a custom pent shaped sump (that could not be removed) and I half wish we had done that instead of using the rectangular 20 that just did fit in the door and is cumbersome to deal with.

I really worry about the stand not supporting the tank correctly. This tank is upstairs and if something should fail.... I would hate to see it because my stand didnt support the weight other wise I would just make the stand. I actually hurt my husbands feelings accidentally because I told him it really had to be exact and I didnt want to take the risk. Plus the cost of building a good solid stand is about the same as buying in some cases. Unless I can find a stand and canopy for like 600$ (which is about the cost of a stand and canopy with a side door from glass cage) I think I will just go that way. The only really sucky part is that I will have to wait a while to have it delivered.

i vote for your husband. if he has the tools, there is no reason he couldnt build it to spec. there are probably a hundred diy stand plans on the net. just saying. if he built the interior frame from 4x4"s lag bolted together, you could put whatever type of thin, laminate ply on top with some trim to make it pretty. and it would be way over engineered for the job.

I really would have liked for my husband to do it... only... he seems to have problems understanding a few things. First he makes things the way HE would want it to be made. He often doesnt follow plans nor will he listen to the way I want it made. So yeah he will make it for me but its very unlikely that he will listen to my wishes once hes said he will do it.

The other problem is he just made me a dresser... I had been asking him to get me a dresser for 3 years. Well finally he did it and well.. it leaves something to be desired. He spent 350$ on wood and supplies. The drawers dont close properly and its not really all that nice. Dont get me wrong... I LOVE this dresser... mostly because we have DESPERATELY needed one for over 3 years lol. I want this set up to be NICE. Its in my living room after all.

I think I will just have to go slow and steady to get this set up done. I was hoping to be able to have it done by November but that just doesnt seem likely. It will probably be late December or January before I have it finished. :-(

Maybe you should make the stand. If your husband has the tools, you could just follow a DIY stand plan, unless of course, it would hurt his feelings if you made it :roll:. My husband is a musician, totally right-brained, he is not allowed to touch any tool or paintbrush in the house (I learned the hard way...). Luckily though, my husband knows that he can't build anything, so either I do it, I have my dad help me, or I hire someone...

I've built lots of stands, and I looked at the glass cages stands (when I picked up my tank from them). I like thier stands but the design that glass cages uses is very simple, and assuming that he already has the right tools already, the materials to build the stand and canopy will only cost about $200 - $250. It's a simple design, so he can probably build it in one or two days, and it's certainly strong enough to hold your 75 gallon tank with no worries about breaking the tank. Just let him look at the pictures of the stands, and ask glasscages what thickness plywood they use on the 48x18 stand? (3/4" or 1"). It would save you $300 - $400, and you'd have the stand sooner, but there's another reason that I think you should reconsider letting your husband build the stand:

In general, one of the differences between men and women is that a man's identity and sense of value is more stongely tied to his ability to competently provide for a wife. For most of the last 300,000 years, a big part of that competence was his ability to make things (houses, tools, fish tank stands). That's why we want to do that kind of thing, and want to be appreciated for it by our wives. Most women aren't wired that way, but it might help you empathize to imagine how you would feel if your husband said "I really want us to hire a full time nanny to raise the kids, because I'm afraid that you won't do a good enough job." (ouch) He could build two or three stands for the price of the glass cages one, so if his stand isn't nice enough, sell it on craigslist and let him try again (building projects are always better the 2nd time). If he's truely bad at such things, and there are safety issues, then for get it and buy one, but otherwise I would urge you to let him show his wife what a good provider (builder) he is.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back