[Octopus]: Frank - O. vulgaris

Because the tank is still very new and you have a heavily stocked tank (messiness of the animal, not number of animals), I would go for more rather than less than the (somewhat) standard of 20%-35%/month general recommendation and do it in weekly smaller batches. So as a rounded amount, 10 gallons a week should be good but keep a close eye on the ammonia (test about 60 minutes after feeding) and nitrites and increase the changes if you see anything other than 0 on either.

Frank is growing like a weed.

Attachments

• 20170613_074616.jpg
    20170613_074616.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 154
Frank has a few missing suckers. Can anyone explain? Was wondering if it was him chewing them off himself or could possibly be bristle worms eating on him while he is a sleep. There are some large ones in the rocks. But I can't caught them so far.

Attachments

• 20170701_142241.jpg
    20170701_142241.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 149
  • 20170701_142341.jpg
    20170701_142341.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 141
  • 20170701_142427.jpg
    20170701_142427.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 143
Frank has be really active since the family has been home for the holiday weekend. He has wanted not attention and has gotten in to a bad habit of squirting water all over the floor if we ignore him or Im not bringing his food fast enough. He act like one of my children always wanting attention. He appetite has increased. Interesting some days he wants more then others. He loves my pugs, I wonder if he thinks there fat little seals. I'm susurprised how social he has become. He acts like he wants contact. Here he took my tool from me and tried put under his rock.

Attachments

• 20170701_184124.jpg
    20170701_184124.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 128
  • 20170701_184717.jpg
    20170701_184717.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 143
  • 20170701_184137.jpg
    20170701_184137.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 135
  • 20170701_142458.jpg
    20170701_142458.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 147
This is why I think vulgaris is my favorite (but Neal will say that I change favorites with whatever species I have at the moment). Not all vulgaris are as "friendly" (some have been aggressive) but most have demanded attention from their human food slaves.

The missing suckers are a mystery and not something anyone else has reported. Can you go back to older photos and determine if this is new? Brissel worms are common in their tanks and in the wild and are attracted to dead or dying things that don't move so I would not expect them to be a problem as much as I dislike them. Typical arm damage from pump impellers removes a portion of the arm, not suckers. I am wondering if their absence is more from a malformation at arm growth/regrowth as we have seen different anomalies when they are regrowing arms.

Yes, they are new missing suckers. I have been keep count. It went from 1 missing to 3, now 5 missing over the past month. He may be chewing them off himself. Maybe from boredom.

The "usual" indication of an octopus mutilating itself is by chewing off the arms, starting at the tip so this would be a previously unobserved/recorded variant. The causes of known self immolation (autophagy) are not fully understood but generally believed to be bacteria related (here is a very short, non-scientific article about some of the observations).

Do you have any kind of exposed pump in the tank. I am thinking about something like a Koralia where there is side access that could allow suckers to protrude into the impeller area? If so, you might try placing a media net (I use one like this - this is not a vendor recommendation but I do get mine on eBay and strongly recommend using a zippered, not tie, variety) around it and see if the damage stops.

I tried putting powerhead in his tank but he wouldn't leave it alone. I was afraid he was going hurt him self so I took it out. It been out over a month. I'll keep watching and see if he has any more appear missing. He has been sleeping up high on the side of the tank o. The glass lately. That's why I thought the bristle worms might be bothering him. Thanks for the input. It all new to me.

Sleeping high in the tank in the open would suggest something uncomfortable in his liverock. If the sucker area has rotting flesh, it would attract brissel worms. Since you may have limited movement in the tank without a powerhead (powerheads are definitely an attractive nuisance and the media net with a Koralia - more gentle intake - has been my best attempt yet to move water and still keep arms out), you might want to look inside his den area for left over food that might cause the brissels to accumulate in that area.

Does the area where he sleeps include an area of water movement (input from the sump)?

Yes it does now. But he had moved a couple of weeks ago into the corner where it did not. But he recently moved back to his old cave. He had left it because I moved it to clean out from under it and wasn't happy. So he built another in the corner. He has not been staying in the corner now. Which I did see hugh bristle worms in the corner rock at least 3 inches. The tank is maybe to clean for the bristle worms so there trying eat whatever's avalible.

Actually is was a Karolia not a power head. But he rip off the wall and put down into the sand. I thought he may get shocked if he bit the cord or something. It would glow sand everywhere and could see in the tank. He thanks everything is his play toy. I would get on to him and tell him know. He would leave it alone, but then when I would leave the room he go get it again. So I just removed it.

I get the biggest smiles when I read your description of Hank's errant behavior :tentacle:. I am glad he has decided to go back to a den as that is a more "normal" behavior but each of our wards has an individual personality. Do force water (turkey basters work well or you can try siphoning) into the den when you clean to remove his garbage as that will be the biggest brissel worm attractor.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back