Found this pretty interesting

Discussion in 'Octopus Care' started by Cephaholic, Oct 12, 2011.

1. Cephaholic

Cephaholic Larval Mass Registered

2. DWhatley

DWhatley Cthulhu Staff Member Moderator

The red and pink coraline look is amazing.

3. skywindsurfer

skywindsurfer Architeuthis Registered

Is that red/pink color on the octopus coming from them or their surrounding?

4. The_Damped

The_Damped Blue Ring Registered

I imagine the pink portions are white, the iridophores should always yield blue/green right? Although pink should just be all colors present with some extra red.. so maybe some red chromatophores are "firing" along with a good deal of leucophores? I guess the only other options would be pink ambient light or more likely something digital.

5. DWhatley

DWhatley Cthulhu Staff Member Moderator

I tried comparing the color to the surround landscape to see if there was a digital affect in play and everything I saw looked appropriate (the reds, oranges and purples looked as I would expect and the browns had no pink cast). The male looked like he had coraline algae growing on his mantle but I don't think that is possible.

6. skywindsurfer

skywindsurfer Architeuthis Registered

So the consensus is its not the octopus but something external/environmental giving it those colors?

7. The_Damped

The_Damped Blue Ring Registered

It's not bioluminescence. So it could only be coming from the surroundings. I suppose what you are asking is if it's pink light reflecting on non-pigmented leucophores or white, full-spectrum, light shining on a combination of chromatophores to yield pink coloration. And I think it's improbable that it is pink light being cast.

I have no idea whether or not it would be possible for algae to grow on them though I would also expect not. Regardless the pink coloration seems to come and go. As far as digitally, I think it would be rather easy, with some good software, to do this, but I don't really see any motivation.

So I'm gonna say I think it's most likely leucophores and red chromatophores.

But then I'm no expert.