• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Found the octo i "believe" i want....need input.

OoNickoC

Blue Ring
Registered
We ordered an octo @ work a couple of weeeks ago (recieved it the following day) and was supposed to be a bimac. It is certainly not one. It came in labled " Costarican Longarm Octopus". I researched long arm octopus and got no real info on them. He is predominantly white (not stressed white, and actuall resting white) and displays diurnal behavoir. His mantle is approx. 2" in length and has good sized arms. He flashes red when eating/attacking prey, and can produce fairly large "protrusions"....around .5 cm. Not shy and tries to grab my hand when im scrubbing algae. He had the most expensive meal in Sacramento the evening of his arrival and now takes thawed squid, octo(i know....morbid), and crab meat. Ill have some photos on Firday for guess to sp. Oh and the guy who unpacked/acclimated him put him in a 50 w/ two angels and a wrasse. One angel down, one found scard for its life under a rock, and the wrasse unfortunatley abandonded ship. I was shocked that the person that has been doing shipments for so long would put a wrasse in a tank with 1/2 a versatop let alone an octo!!! Sorry for the long post, I;m very excited:wink:

:welcome: to you and your octo-friend! Sounds like quite a character!

I picked up a "Costa Rician" long arm ocotpus in the Bay Area a few weeks ago. My tentative identification was that it was something akin to O. joubini.

A couple of questions. Is the animal diurnal or nocturnal?

Does it dig into the gravel or sit during the day up on the wall?

Is the skin normally smooth or papillious?

Roy

Fini;83202 said:
A Sactown Octo! He sounds like a pretty cool octopus, congratulations!

Which shop did you get him through?

My employer, Capitol Aquarium.

Neogonodactylus;83209 said:
I picked up a "Costa Rician" long arm ocotpus in the Bay Area a few weeks ago. My tentative identification was that it was something akin to O. joubini.

A couple of questions. Is the animal diurnal or nocturnal?

Does it dig into the gravel or sit during the day up on the wall?

Is the skin normally smooth or papillious?

Roy

He is active at dusk for a bit, hides from approx 1-6pm, then resumes exploration. I would assume that he would be more diurnal if it were not for the coulpe hundred customers passing by throughout the day.

He digs under rocks and keeps his head pointed out looking around. He also spends alot of time by the return in plain sight.

His skin is rather papillious, with pretty neat extensions when he gets excited. Thanks for the responses guys, I hope to have pics up on Friday evening.

This certainly does not sound like what I received. Yours sounds more like A. aculeatus, but that is an Indonesian species. You might try looking at a few pictures aculeatus.

ROy

Well, after searching the "base" I cannot find an exact or strikingly similar image. Though I realize that every sp. can vary grealty in color i cannot find his resting texture in any photos on the net. Ill have a slew of pics the day aft Thanksgiving as that is when I work next. Im just praying to the lord that none of mycoworkers sells him.......:banghead:

Got my octo, am very concerned.....-= (

Ive had an octo before. It was always somewhat easy to spot after a few minutes with a flashligt. this guy slipped into my rocks and is nowhere to be found. I tried to take out a flame scallop (thought it had died months ago....saw it hunting for the octo visually) and removed my lagest rock.....no octo, removed the other rock.....no octo.....
Its a 24g cube, I have a 55 setup but want it to stabalize for a couple of months. Can they burry in the sand completley? Anyways here are some pics just before the amazing dissaperance.
octounknown.jpg

Im sort of freaked out, did i put a rock on him....is he in a hidden cavity. this took place UPON introduction of the tank. 1 min tops. Very fascinating creature.

As long as your tank is escape proof, leave him be. It's common for new octos to disapear for sometimes a week or so. Looking for him is only going to freak him out more. Most new octo owners find they are being observed by their new octo, just can't see him! Patience! :smile:

Thanks for the replies, I caught a glimspe of it on the way to work (4am) so Im totally relieved. Ill post an id request in the proper forum.

good progess....= )

Well its been over a couple weeks and this guy is truly something else.
Ive settled for briarieus as far as sp. Ive been feeding this guy strips of small tilapia shrimp or crab meat, live shore crabs, and small live fish from a local beach. When i place my hand in the tank to scrub algae he will shoot his tentacles from the den (15ish lbs of tonga LR) and grab my hand, and try with all his might for about 10 seconds to fit me in his den. From my understanding these guys cant really overeat....but this is my feeding regiment (he has a much larger appitite than my previous)...
Daily feedings, randomly I feed one of each throughout the week;

1-2.5" live crab (body length, very small claws,long legged)
2 1-2" live SW fish, brown...slender and very fast, seem to feed on carryon, turf algae, and seaweed.
1 raw 2" prawn, and a small piece of tilapia or crab meat from the deli.

Should this guy eat more because he certainly will. My bother call ed to ask if he could feed my octo....he has an SPS reef so i consider him worthy of being carefull.....i say sure. He gave Urcela a WHOLE TILAPIA.....about 8"....and has a 2.75" mantle....:bugout: Ate that with no problem apparently. And is now on the hunt for more food. Is this typical for the sp.?

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back