Fossil Nautilids

Architeuthoceras

Architeuthis
Staff member
Another from the vault, 4 views of ?Eutrephoceras from the Coniacian (Late Cretaceous) portion of the Mancos Shale in Central Utah. This one is strange as it has ribs, all others found at this locality dont have ribs. Does that mean it is pathological or just a different species than the others?

Attachments

POD-L

O. bimaculoides
Registered
?Nautiloid

Architeuthoceras;128617 said:
Another from the vault, 4 views of ?Eutrephoceras from the Coniacian (Late Cretaceous) portion of the Mancos Shale in Central Utah. This one is strange as it has ribs, all others found at this locality dont have ribs. Does that mean it is pathological or just a different species than the others?
We have a ribbed Nautiloids here in the Cretaceous Nanaimo Group, Santonian - Campanian
Cymatoceras(simple suture) and Paracymatoceras (s-shaped suture)as well as Eutrephoceras.

POD-L

O. bimaculoides
Registered
Cretaceous Nautiloids

Here is a link to a Russian article, there has been little work on our Nautiloids but my info is from this work of a similar age on Sakhalin Island.

Attachments

Architeuthoceras

Architeuthis
Staff member

POD-L

O. bimaculoides
Registered
photos

Architeuthoceras;128894 said:
Thank you POD-L you have just given me something to do over the winter.:notworth: The ribs on Cymatoceras seem to be finer than those on my specimen, but a google search brings up many more refs, I will be studying this for months.:biggrin2:

The role of the environment in the nautilacea

Shell microstructure and morphogenesis of the ornamentation in Cymatoceras Hyatt, 1883, Cretaceous Nautilida. Systematic implications
Architeuthoceras
I will attempt to post some pictures of my Nautiloids.
Here is one I just found on the Trent River vancouver Island 2 weeks ago. Eutrephoceras.

Attachments

Architeuthoceras

Architeuthis
Staff member
I have moved some of the new posts from the "Vault" thread into this new thread for continuity.

The nautiloid with fold like ribs may be Anglonautilus. Ref here. Most are from the Cenomanian so if they are congeneric this could extend their range into the Coniacian, more study is needed.

POD-L

O. bimaculoides
Registered
Architeuthoceras;128980 said:
I have moved some of the new posts from the "Vault" thread into this new thread for continuity.

The nautiloid with fold like ribs may be Anglonautilus. Ref here. Most are from the Cenomanian so if they are congeneric this could extend their range into the Coniacian, more study is needed.
Good thread I will be reading your additional references and posting some pictures here in the near future.:biggrin2:

DWhatley

Certified Ceph Head For Life
Staff member
I hate to make too many comments here but do want ya'll to know that the posts are appreciated and read. I am always in awe at what you find and can identify.

POD-L

O. bimaculoides
Registered
Thanks

Thanks Dwhatley,this fossil thing is a bit of an obsession,we can get totally in our own world, nice to know other people can appreciate what we find!:wink:

Architeuthoceras

Architeuthis
Staff member
POD-L;129391 said:
Thanks Dwhatley,this fossil thing is a bit of an obsession,we can get totally in our own world, nice to know other people can appreciate what we find!:wink:
dwhatley;129394 said:
All things ceph seem to be that way :tentacle1:
Well I have a life outside of the ceph world... no, really, its drug induced :rainbow:

Nice fossils POD_L, I have never seen a reticulate pattern like that on a nautiloid, thats neat. 8-)

below is a Eutrephoceras from the Santonian, notice the straight sutures, it is a little distorted, but not that much.

Attachments

DWhatley

Certified Ceph Head For Life
Staff member
Everytime ya'll post your finds, the first thing that comes to mind is, "What an interesting fireplace they could make!". Of course you could never sell the house after that (unless you had enough of a surplus to build another) :razz:

Architeuthoceras

Architeuthis
Staff member
dwhatley;129401 said:
Everytime ya'll post your finds, the first thing that comes to mind is, "What an interesting fireplace they could make!". Of course you could never sell the house after that (unless you had enough of a surplus to build another) :razz:
Yea, a fireplace, two bedrooms, three walls out in the backyard and the field next door. It would be easier just to move out on an outcrop somewhere and build a new house out of fossils. :lol:

POD-L

O. bimaculoides
Registered
straight sutures

Architeuthoceras;129399 said:
Well I have a life outside of the ceph world... no, really, its drug induced :rainbow:

Nice fossils POD_L, I have never seen a reticulate pattern like that on a nautiloid, thats neat. 8-)

below is a Eutrephoceras from the Santonian, notice the straight sutures, it is a little distorted, but not that much.
Yes I can see how straight the sutures are,great for comparison. We do have some like that , I have seen one example in another's collection with a super S suture, possibly Paracymatoceras.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mcorbell

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak

About the Monty Awards