Fossil Info Requested

Here I go using some more big words...

Actinocerids are characterized by usually having cyrtochoanitic septal necks, convex/bulbous connecting rings, annulosiphonate endosiphuncular deposits with canals running radially from a central hollow, and cameral deposits that can show up on all sides of the chamber.
alot of times the only thing preserved is the siphuncle which would basically look like a straight string of pearls.
below is a photo of a longitudinal section of Rayonnoceras, an actinocerid from the Mississippian of Utah. Rayonnoceras was one of the last of the actinocerids, they are more a Silurian to Devonian ceph.

Attachments

• conv_289609.jpg
    conv_289609.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 96
aNmLlUvR09: I usually have to read everything with heavy use of books and a web browser. :smile: I try to do the same thing when I post but, as you can see from this thread, I still get things very wrong sometimes. :oops:

Phil: I'm passing the information on to Joe and Lucy. It kinda puts experts at a disadvantage when I provide inaccurate data... :oops: , so I'm grateful for the information I get here. Makes life easier for everyone. Another complication is that we're not sure where my rocks are coming from. (Any glaciologists out there?) :hmm:

We're currently focused on 'new1', a rock with lots of bits (mostly brachs, no obvious cephs) showing on the surface that I haven't seen in anything else I've found. (I'm hoping it's a very old one; at least it is a very different one.)

Kevin: Thank you for the very useful big words :smile:
and for the picture. I hope I can use the terminology some day... it's more accurate and it would reduce my verbosity. :biggrin2:

Reighan

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back