Fossil Hunting Trip

Architeuthoceras;51317 said:
Found this Forresteria alluaudi in a large concretion.

Your finds are very interesting Kevin.

I collect similar ammonites in the (assumed) Lower Coniacian of France. All of them are most likely to be Forresteria (Harleites) petrocoriensis, and they include flat and robust morphotypes.

The scenery is not as impressive as in Utah, but nice anyway :wink:

First, let me say :welcome: to TONMO Polyopsis

According to the latest time scale and zones for the late cretaceous, F. (H.) petrocoriensis is early coniacian (? is that wrong), just below the tridorsatum zone where those I find come from. Looks like you find some very interesting ammonites, most of the F. alluadi I get are the robust morphotype, yours seem to be the flat type, or is that just the way Harleites is. Thanks for posting pictures of your fossils.

The scenery looks beautiful over there, looks like you have some shade once in a while unlike over here. :biggrin2:

Architeuthoceras;81757 said:
First, let me say :welcome: to TONMO Polyopsis

According to the latest time scale and zones for the late cretaceous, F. (H.) petrocoriensis is early coniacian (? is that wrong), just below the tridorsatum zone where those I find come from. Looks like you find some very interesting ammonites, most of the F. alluadi I get are the robust morphotype, yours seem to be the flat type, or is that just the way Harleites is. Thanks for posting pictures of your fossils.

The scenery looks beautiful over there, looks like you have some shade once in a while unlike over here. :biggrin2:

Hi Kevin, thanks for welcoming a new member from overseas :biggrin2:

It is right that standard ammonoid biozonation considers H. petrocoriensis and the likes lower Coniacian. However, recent work on inoceramids + the Turonian-Coniacian succession in Madagascar + others suggest that these faunas could be partly Turonian. This will be the topic of my PhD thesis :wink:

You're right, most of my Harleites are quite flat compared to F. alluaudi (nice specimens by the way !). The latter is very rare in France.

Yes, the scenery is nice but the temperature can also get very high in the summer. I took the pic last spring.

Bonjour Polyopsis ! I'm in French France too but am an English interloper !
(sorry about the delay in posting pics but I'm old & slow, my eyes are dim, my bones are bent, my hair is grey etc. etc.)

Keef

My brother Duane and I went out looking yesterday and found a couple of small Placenticeras syrtale. This one ended up being left as the inner whorls were crushed and the overlying rock turned out to be very hard. Still a nice specimen :smile:

Attachments

• conv_289907.jpg
    conv_289907.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 121
  • conv_289908.jpg
    conv_289908.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 98
  • conv_289909.jpg
    conv_289909.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 127
Wow.

I would love to stumble across something like that. I was helping a friend fill in a large hole in another friends yard down here in Texas. They had removed their septic tank, and while tossing dirt/rock back into the hole I came across a few tiny bivalve fossils mixed in the rock. Made me want to sift through the rest of the soil before we put it back in the hole.

Most of the ammonites have crushed inner whorls, the weight of the sediment prior to fossilization crushed the hollow phragmocone, while the living chamber got filled with sediment and was un-crushed. Only those that were broken and filled with sediment prior to sediment compaction get fossilized complete.

The most common macro fossil in these beds are the bivalve Inoceramus, some concretions filled with them (unfortunately no pics:oops:[a big one back on this thread]). This gastropod was found the other day, and this bivalve was found a few years ago in the same beds. I havent identified either one yet.

Attachments

• conv_289913.jpg
    conv_289913.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 188
  • conv_289914.jpg
    conv_289914.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 182
Congratulations on yet more spectacular finds Kevin. For interest, here is a nice artist's reconstruction of Placenticeras catching fish. Not convinced by the tentacles, but a nice drawing nonetheless:

Dino Hunter Art Page

Well done again on those finds.

Found this a couple of weeks ago. A very nice example of Lusitanites subcircularis a Carboniferous (Late Mississippian [Brigantian]) goniatite. This is the largest I have found of this species, a little over 24mm, almost an inch dia. And one of the best preserved.

Attachments

• conv_290550.jpg
    conv_290550.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 159

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back