• TONMOCON VII Announced | MBL at Woods Hole | Apr 6-8, 2018
  • Thanks for visiting! TONMO is the world's greatest online cephalopod enthusiast community, with interactive content going back to May of 2000, and a biennial conference. If you'd like to join in on the fun, become a TONMO member -- it's easy and free. You can follow us on Facebook and Twitter for more cephy goodness.

for sale octo id request

AprylWillis

GPO
Registered
Do NOT buy from Saltwaterfish.com they are not worth spending the money on that poor octopus! They abuse their animals! My last 2 octopus were from that place and they are not worth the $$$ you spend on them! I had to save one of them and the first one -died-! Please take our advice and shop from one of our own tonmo members or elsewhere! They have terrible service if you need help!

DrBatty

GPO
Supporter
"Carribean" octos seem to be what's easy to get right now. One of my LFS has had a few lurking in some of their tanks. From what I can see, they have all the looks of a vulgaris but don't seem to get as large - a female they had got to be about the size of a softball before brooding eggs. But, that was just my one experience seeing a Carribean one up until brooding. :smile:

Animal Mother

Architeuthis
Supporter
Do a search for "Clyde"

Member Goodwin9 has 3 octos from SWF.com and they said they all appear to be the same species. He has videos posted as well. They are very day active and do some remarkable color changes.

Of course, when you order from a distributor like that, you never know how old the octopus is when you get it. Might only have weeks to live.

Teuthologist

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
Bob the kracken;91490 said:
what kind of octos live in the carribian
Well, here's something I can answer to;

There is the Atlatic pygmy octopus (don't know the scientific name), O. Mercatoris (A dwarf species), and O. Briareus. I believe these species mainly live in shallow reefs or caves, but that's all I could tell you about them.

Teuthologist

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
The picture is really too small to distinguish (Or else I have really bad eyesight). It's size would narrow it down to the dwarf spicies, and I'd have to lean toward the Atlantic Pygmy, although it does bear a resemblance to a bimac.

Also, is the size given (3-4 in.) the total length or the mantle length?

DWhatley

Cthulhu
Staff member
Please check out the link I provided. The picture is NOT of the octopus that they had available, it has been "borrowed" from cephbase and is not from the Atlantic.

Members online

No members online now.