For Sale: Captive Bred Cuttlefish - S. Bandensis

Discussion in 'Sources for Cephalopods and Food' started by Paradox, Apr 18, 2008.

1. Paradox

Paradox Haliphron Atlanticus Supporter

Since I have been lucky enough to successfully breed Sepia Bandensis, I have available some Captive Bred hatchlings and eggs. Keep in mind these are captive bred not captive raised that is normally available.

The Cuttle farm Army (Me) will be partnering with Thales (Rich) of Daisy Hill Cuttle Farm to sell these.

Pricing reflects the the fact that they are captive bred plus the time and costs it takes to care for these animals.

Eggs - $15
    Hatchling to 1.5 month (Eating Live) - $50
    1.5months-4months (Eating Frozen) - $75
    Male/Female Pair - $160

+ shipping/box fees

Please serious inquiries only. Depending on demand, it may be possible to place a hold on cuttles for 1-2 weeks with prepayment and a 50% refundable if you decide to back out.

Since ceph keeping is still relatively new and there is much to be learned, I would like to encourage recipients of these cuttlefish to participate in a tracking system to see how far we can go with continued keeping and breeding. This can be done through posting journals and experiences here on Tonmo and a system we will put together shortly. This is a chance to be a part of making bandensis more known and available in the US. Hopefully soon, we will never need to collect these from the wild again!

General info on the species available here:
    http://www.tonmo.com/cephcare/cuttlefish.php

Pictures and history of these cuttles and thier parents can be found here:
    http://www.tonmo.com/community/index.php?threads/8506/

Eggs
    [​IMG]

Hatchlings
    [​IMG]

Here is a quick video I put together of 0-2 week old hatchlings.
    [​IMG]

2. Animal Mother

Animal Mother Architeuthis Supporter

I'm working on removing some fish from a tank specifically for this at the moment.

3. Paradox

Nice! Just let me know when your ready!

4. Animal Mother

Will do!

5. fishkid6692

fishkid6692 Vampyroteuthis Supporter

are the eggs 15 each?

6. simple

simple Vampyroteuthis Registered

i asked the same question, he says its 15 for one egg.

7. fishkid6692

is 20g big enough for a male/female pair?

8. fishkid6692

i meen 30g

9. Paradox

30 gallon would be ok for a male/female pair. I would advise having a sump though to add water volume.

However, I will not have male/female pairs until a couple months. Cant sex them until they are older. Sorry I forgot to mention this. What I have available now are mostly hatchlings and a limited number of eggs. More eggs should be available within the next couple weeks. Im waiting for them to mature a little longer before taking them out of my display tank, which in itself will be a big chore!

10. Thales

Thales Colossal Squid Staff Member Moderator

Sweet a Cuttle Army and Daisy Hill joint!

I also have a 8 captive raised bandensis for sale, 40 each plus everything above, that are eating frozen mysis.

Cephs rock!

11. fishkid6692

ok i just asked the person whos making my tank and he said it is going to be 25g. if it's only 5g less is it still ok? i will run a sump. and do weekly water changes.

12. Animal Mother

Water volume's only going to be half of your problem. Them bumping into things in such close quarters is going to cause problems. They need lots of space to move.

13. fishkid6692

so will 5g make a diff.?

14. Animal Mother

In short, yes.

What I'm saying is, think also in terms of dimensions, not just gallons.

15. fishkid6692

it's a 19 inch cube that is 16 inches high.

16. L8 2 RISE

L8 2 RISE Haliphron Atlanticus Registered

IMO, it's not just what you can cram into an aquarium, you want the aquarium to be bigger than the requirements, then the fish/cuttles in this case, will be happier, and prolly more interactive/active because they have more room to swim around in. In other words, a human can live in a 7x7 room with a toilet, daily feeding, and nothing else, but he/she would get no exercise, and would be bored all day. That example may be a little extreme, but it's the right idea.

17. Paradox

Ok, Thales will be performing all the shipping, so please send all order inquiries to babies@atomicglass.com.

My current stock (which is constantly changing is)

17 Hatchlings (Almost all are eating live mysids)
    4-5 Eggs with many more in the main tank that Ill need to remove and confirm that they are viable.

18. fishkid6692

when you get a male/female pair i will buy them. lol i finally have a tank for them! i've wanted cuttles but i never set up a tank for them. how long do you think it will be until you have a pair?

19. eisaiasjr

eisaiasjr Pygmy Octopus Registered

PM to Para

Para/Thales:

As you guys know by now, I contacted Thales a about 15 days ago asking to be put in the list for a male/female pair. My tank has been fully cycled for over 1 month now and I am ready to make a purchase immediately. Please contact me to the email address that I previously send you via emai/PM.

Regards,

Estefano

20. Paradox

Everyone that is interested in male/female pairs...

I neglected to explain this in detail earlier.

Sepia Bandensis do not show sex defining behavior until 3 months or so. So we will not be able to properly ID them until this time. Even then, it may be difficult. So availability for them will be dependent upon what we have left after 3 months. It is very likely that I may have some in 3 months and its also possible that we dont. This will also depend on if we have space to keep them at this size.

I will need to speak with Rich about this in greater detail to see if we even have the resources to keep them to this age.

In other words, we do not currently have male/female pairs at the moment and we will need to decide on if this is something we can actually pursue.

I apologize for this confusion for we are currently trying to figure out all the logistics of what we can and cannot do. This is primarily a hobby for us for any profits will pretty much pay for the expenses and time required to keep these creatures with the aim of making cuttles more available to the US market.