• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Food Problem

KDS

O. bimaculoides
Registered
I have a couple of S. bandensis (hatchlings) and they are eating live food great, but I am having trouble keeping the food alive. I have killed several of the batches of live mysis I have ordered and the last batch I got had over half of the shrimp dead already. I have been feeding them live brine, but I need to get them off this as soon as possible. I have been trying to get them to eat frozen mysis since I am having such trouble with the live stuff, but they don't seem as interested. I order my mysis from Aquaculture and put them in a ten gal. (topfin hang-on filter). I use an eye dropper to try to make the frozen shrimp move. I am running out of money so I need to get this right. Any advise from experienced cuttlekeepers would be most welcomed.
Thanks,
KDS

I run a big air pump in with the mysids so the water is really moving. Do you have a sponge/foam on the intake of the filter? If not, they may be dying as they go through the filter impeller.

You are running into common problems with mysids. Adults do die. If they die in shipping contact the seller and ask for replacements.

In the cuttle tank, one way to try to wean them onto dead food is to have a lot of current in the tank so it blows the dead food around. I don't know anyone that has actually had success weaning baby bandensis onto dead food. They eyedropper is prolly scaring the babies - i would try a turkey baster from further away.

Good luck.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back