• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Food for O. Bimaculoides near Great Barrington, MA

Rome

Hatchling
Registered
Hi everyone! I just got my Bimac delivered today, and he seems pretty robust! Fedex arrived two hours late, and the styrofoam casing between the box and octo-bag was heavily damaged. Also, the water was around 60 degrees F. Miraculously, he left his bag within 10 minutes of its introduction into the tank, and flashed colors, erected papilla and burrowed in the sand (all cool behaviors that I was psyched about seeing!). As soon as I turned the lights on, he became even more active--my yellowtail damsels are screwed! :lol:

Anyway, does anyone know where I can buy glass shrimp near Great Barrington, MA--or any good place to order from? Also, does anyone have other suggestions for live food (and places to order from)? I'm asking about glass shrimp only because I've heard lots of success stories with this kind of food. Thanks a lot!

Congrats!!! Bimacs are wonderful! Hermin has been around for 5 months now! I have found now that the bait shops have been out of fiddler crabs, he likes crayfish, also, some of the shops have those fiddler crabs they sell as pets.

I am still able to get green crabs from the bait shop, but he seems to be sick of them, so for now it's crayfish! Next stop is the fresh seafood store to try him on scallops!

Good luck!!

Carol

My bimac loves Fiddlers but they are a bit costly at $2.50 each in the pet shops but bait shops tell me in the spring they sell a quart atleast 20 ncrabs for $5 I give my octo frozen prawn from the fish market goldfish dont know if they are good for him and fiddlers

Good Luck

My bimac loves Fiddlers but they are a bit costly at $2.50 each in the pet shops but bait shops tell me in the spring they sell a quart atleast 20 ncrabs for $5 I give my octo frozen prawn from the fish market goldfish dont know if they are good for him and fiddlers

Good Luck

Size of food

well, I fed him a snail from my reef tank, and he grabbed it and brought it back to his lair immediately. This was great, except for the fact that now, a day and a half later, he hasn't moved and is still wrapped around the shell. He didn't even come out for a second snail the next day. I'm worried that he's too small to eat them easily. I bought a crayfish to feed him, but have the same worry--my bimac has 1.5 inch mantle sac length, and is quite smaller than a baseball when rolled up in a ball. Any suggestions for feeding such a small octopus, or will he be fine with the crayfish (which is about the same size as the octo)?

If you're worried about the crayfish hurting him, I take scissors and snap one of the pinchers off so they can't pinch. Fiddlers don't seem to be a problem, but Hermin sometimes eats large green crabs and I don't want them damaging him.

Carol :smile:

Hi Manny!

Hermin, when curled up, is a little bigger than a tennisball. His legs must be about 6". The green crabs I get from baitshops are usually are from 1 to 2 " shells, depending if the person getting them for me feels like digging through the crabs!!

Lately he's been eating crayfish. I'll be glad when it gets warmer cause then the fiddlers will be available again and we can collect locally!

Carol

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back