• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Food for Cuttles

davecash

Hatchling
Registered
Hey guys,

Just wanting some suggestions. I know that Mysids are usually the food source for newly hatched cuttles but what if these are not available? I'm from Australia and I've searched everywhere possible but cannot find a source for Mysids. I'm looking for as many ideas as possible.

Also, one they're grown to the stage of accepting larger foods, would Crabs be fine as a primary food source or should these only be used to supplement?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Are we talking about baby cuttlefish or adults?
If you are near the coast, you might try dragging a net through tide pools and seaweed patches. Keep the finds in a live food tank
Adult staple food could be frozen (thawed) krill or shrimp. If crabs are only slightly larger, much of them goes uneaten and the remains will foul the tanks water in only a couple days. I like "Sally's Krill" for a frozen staple food. A 16oz pack usually < $10.

See results from our mission this past weekend:
http://www.tonmo.com/forums/showthr...is-First-Round&p=156146&viewfull=1#post156146

Thanks for the reply snowmaker. I was talking about both. More about baby cuttles though. I'm really close to the coast so i know finding food when they are adults wont be a problem... Just wasn't sure how hard it would be to get mysids/amphipods as we can't buy them online like you can in the U.S. Just did a quick Google on Sally's Krill in Aus and come up with nothing. I'm sure theres an Aussie equivalent. Cheers for the video!

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back