Fletcher - O. Hummelincki

Tommycs

Wonderpus
Registered
Well I received my Hummelincki from reefscavengers.com early today after I received a DOA. the one I received looks pretty healthy and relatively young. I drip acclimated it for just over two hours. At first it was not happy about acclimating. He was desperately trying to climb out of the bag and I was desperately trying to keep it in the bag. I tried rubbing the back of his arms and that only made him more mad and he would grab my finger and start to pull it close to him. Twice throughout the acclimation he put on this display with his skin where for a split second he would flash exactly half his body brown. After I added him to my tank he found a nice cave in the rocks and hid. I couldn't see him for a while so I decided to place an emerald crab right in front of the cave. After about ten minutes the crab surprisingly did not move, the octopus came out and ate him. Unfortunately I have not come up with a name yet but I will. Here are some pictures and a video. The size of his mantle looks like it is probably about 1 1/2 inches but I am not really sure yet. He was packed in a much bigger bag with much more water than the previous DOA. Does the coloration look normal for a newly introduced octopus?

Attachments

• conv_303663.jpg
    conv_303663.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 158
  • conv_303664.jpg
    conv_303664.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 137
Thanks, D do you have any comment on the color? Did octane or any of your hummelincki's look like this after being introduced to the tank?
Also he is eating quite a bit. Already he ate an emerald crab and a whole shovelnose lobster.

Just an update. He blew out a hole underneath some rocks (the worst spot for viewing it) and I am not sure if it is his den, I'll see if he settles elsewhere tomorrow, but he is in there and hasn't come out. Since those pictures, his eyespots became very blue where as before they were black.

Sorry Tommy, I have looked on and off all day to see if Fletcher had arrived but ultimately missed the post. When I did get to take a look, I was VERY happy to see only the word hummelincki :biggrin2:

Hummelincki has a very wide variety of colors and displays so to ask if one is "normal" would always get, "yes" for an answer (Here is a half-and-half picture of Octane. We see it a lot from SueNami as well.). From what I have observed across three species, unlike the mercs and briareus, white is not a happy color. There is one particular display that I hope you get to see once or twice but not often. When very startled, hummelincki will become brilliant white and the eyespots luminescent blue. I got a poor shot of the one time I saw it with Octane (never with OhTwo). I think the photo was so bad that I did not post it but if you will look at Octane's thread at about post 73, you will see quite a variety of looks. Unfortunately, the more comfortable Fletcher becomes with his environment, the less you will see of his/her color and shape variation.

Read through a couple of the acclimation and first two week entries on the journals marked hummelincki, that will give you a pretty good feel for what to expect in the upcoming couple of weeks.

Alright, thanks D I will do that. Also at one point when he was eating a lobster, He did turn very white and his eyespot looked almost like a yin yang. Half was vibrant blue and the other half was black. also I haven't seen him since yesterday, Is it normal for him to be so reclusive on the first few days?

Ya you are pretty lucky he even came out on the first day. It some times takes a couple of days before you catch a glimpse.

Also he might change his den around a lot until he finds a place he likes.

I liked to see the yin yang if you could get a pic. It sounds cool.

It wasn't so much a yin yang but it was as he was changing it to blue and it was this organic looking circle with two different colors. More video and pictures should be up by later today.

Haven't gotten any official measurements I'll try by tonight. My tank is 35 gallons and yes that is a coral. Cuttlegirl, he is a little devil. My skunk cleaner shrimp came over to try to clean him and he didn't try to eat it but instead punched it to the other side of the tank. The shrimp is fine now.

The hummelincki has a particularly endearing look when it captures and is eating live food. When I have reviewed my photos, those are always the best.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back