Fletcher - O. Hummelincki

It would be nice to know how to long to 'flush' wild caught food for. I'm thinking it depends on their metabolism, and can be highly variable.
But would they ever flush things like heavy metals? Humans don't.

I left the clam in fresh saltwater for about 15 minutes. I had no problem slicing his muscles and opening him:sagrin:. I will probably choose to leave them in over-night the next time to really make sure that there are no contaminants in it.
You have given me an idea. I think I will make an instructional video on feeding the octopus a clam. Just a quick little video, This way if people for some reason don't understand the written directions, than they can watch the video that shows you step-by-step. This may be a stupid idea so tell me what you think.
And I know what you mean, Someone will ask a question and I will say to myself "I remember this same question being in answered before" but I just can't seem to remember where I saw it answered therefore I am useless.:wink: Oh and I can't seem to find the wire to connect my camera to my computer so no pictures until I find it. I'll look more later tonight.

Great idea on the video. We don't have any instructional videos yet so this will be a first for our video section. Now, hopefully Fletcher will cooperate :razz:

I sure hope so. I think I'll do this good. I am a filmmaker, So I have a good camera and all the equipment as well as ample editing software so I think that I will try to make this look good and maybe try to have it done by tomorrow. I love making video's so I would be glad to do this over with other foods or anything that needs an instructional video. :smile:

Ok, Maybe I won't be making an instructional video. Fletcher refused to take the clam. I took a video of him refusing it which might be worth posting. I'll put the video up a little later today. Maybe he is just sick of clams. I'll try a shrimp later.

It will be interesting to see if Fletcher eats another. As I mentioned, mine would eat one, maybe two and then not eat them again, same with scallops. I don't know if there is something that is used to preserve (keep them alive) them or if something like the freshwater effects their taste but it is rather strange.

It really is strange because he seemed to enjoy it yesterday. Anyway I'll be posting the video shortly, At the end he does this weird thing with his arms. I hope it is no what is considered "corkscrewing", I really hope it's not that.

Yeah, this is my first octo and I understand towards the end of their life they corkscrew with their arms, I hope this was not him corkscrewing. :cry:

That does seem to be a stress move (see SueNami's first day video called stressed out octo I think there is a link in his journal - no coordinating music to make it more lively though). It is not the same as the pitiful clinging to the glass with arms down and twisted that we sometimes see a day or two before death. Somewhere there was a good picture of a, "don't buy this octo" look but it was too long ago and not memorable enough for me to find it.

Fletcher's interest in manipulating the shell (potentially for a door) and not its contents makes me continue to think you have a female.

Well She has been cruising around the tank all day and she has been trying to grab me quite a bit. We think she may be starting to brood however the fact that every-time I have walked into the room she has been out and about has changed my mind quite a bit on it. I took some video so I'll post that later on tonight as well as quite a few pictures. For the first time ever she came to my fingers on the glass. However before I could confirm she is in fact a girl, she swam back to her den.

Ok, So based on fletchers inactivity for the past few weeks I have come to the conclusion that fletcher, contrary to HER name and original determination of gender, is a female and has started brooding. The only other possibility that I see could fit would be that the lights are too bright and is why she doesn't come out during the day. Today, all day Fletcher didn't leave her den, but at 10:30 when it was lights out Fletcher came out and roamed the tank it seems like the most of the times Fletcher has been active it has been with the lights out. This may sound a little far fetched but it's the only hope i've got that doesn't involve brooding and dying. So anyway Fletcher has been eating frozen shrimp mostly but the diet will be switching to fiddler crabs mostly in a few days when I get them (which by the way, how long does aquaculture store take for fiddlers.). The water parameters are fine and the tank seems to be doing well other than a small recent algae outbreak. The Skunk cleaner shrimp that is in with fletcher is still alive and fletcher never really seems to want to eat it, only to push it away. The other day Fletcher inked for the second time (the first was a very minimal amount that was hardly visible and I think she was just trying to prove a point) but this time she inked a substantial amount. She inked when no one was in the room and I don't think that anything in the tank scared her (starfish, sea cucumber , and a few snails). I was able to remove all of it immediately with a fine mesh net. It seemed as though she had the ink built up and had to just let it out. I'll be posting pictures and a video in the morning. :smile:

1. Fletcher Eating a Clam.
2. Fletchers Eye.
3. Fletcher in her den.
4. Fletcher out of her den near a Coral.
I'll be posting a video tomorrow, The third picture is how Fletcher usually is, she sometimes is out more than that but only for about 15 minutes, once per day does she travel outside her den.

Attachments

• conv_294602.jpg
    conv_294602.jpg
    5.8 MB · Views: 110
  • conv_294603.png
    conv_294603.png
    814.5 KB · Views: 92
  • conv_294604.jpg
    conv_294604.jpg
    5.6 MB · Views: 106
  • conv_294605.jpg
    conv_294605.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 89
Well I have some news that is pretty good. I think that based on fletchers size, she is not quite ready to brood. The reason she was acting so reclusive is because I was having a hard time keeping the temperature under 79, now that is has been lowered to 74-75 fletcher has been out all day and very interactive and friendly. About two days ago fletcher unscrewed the nozzle for the powerhead, and hid it. I found it today and tried to screw it back in. Fletcher however did not like it there, and she wouldn't let me screw it back in. I gave her a stick to play with and she was happy and I got it on tight. A half hour later fletch was right back up there trying to unscrew it again, I at that point I shut the lights out and fletcher scurried back to her den. I did succeed in rubbing fletchers mantle and her front webbing for about 3 minutes on and off. She is still trying to grab but I am trying to make it clear that it is not allowed. Any advice D? I'll hopefully have a video up tomorrow. I'd say tonight I had the most fun with fletcher yet, we played but she refused her tuna for some reason.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back