• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

flamboyant cuttlefish

Colin;7303 said:
Hi Joe

It is asumed that the cuttlefish is poisonous (not venemous) and that the colours are advertising this fact.

8)

Its muscle tissue is certainly poisonous. It however poses no threat unless ingested. I don't believe that anyone has died from these little buggers.

Sleepingfingers;92232 said:
Its muscle tissue is certainly poisonous. It however poses no threat unless ingested. I don't believe that anyone has died from these little buggers.

:welcome: to TONMO, but I'd very much like to know what grounds you have for making a sweeping statement like this. The first I've heard of any research on the potential toxicity is on the Nova TV show this week, as far as I can tell, this is otherwise unpublished research. Can you cite a study that shows that there have been cases of Metasepia biting humans that have not caused any problems?

I don't mean to be harsh, but this is your first post on TONMO, and people do come here to find out information about these animals, possibly because they are interacting with them. If someone has bought a flamboyant cuttlefish in a fish store, I think it's very important that they get accurate information on the possible lethality of the animal.

If you have inside knowledge of the details of the toxicity of metasepia, please share; I already put my foot in my mouth a bit on this topic in another thread because of the Nova show that reported this in a vague and confusing way, and just went back, re-watched it, took notes, tried searching in google and google scholar, in an effort to find solid answers about this. However, if you don't have hard evidence to back up your claims, please do not claim to have the absolute truth on topics that could result in someone being killed.

Thanks, and I don't mean to be unfriendly, just to make sure that we err on the side of caution in areas that may be life-or-death.

Monty,

I am glad you mentioned the Nova thing and what you found (or didn't find). I was dumbfounded when they said it had an unknown, lethal toxin and felt that they implied ingestion but couldn't find anything online either.

i dont know if you know but a recent study has shown the flambouyant cuttlefish to be poisonous. its skin and bite are poisonous so don't be touching it, or playing eat the human. just to let ya know.

Do you have a link to the study? No one can seem to find anything but the Nova show mentioning the toxicity of the flamboyant flesh. If you could link us to the study, you would be a hero.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back