• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Flamboyant Cuttle

Reef Geek

O. vulgaris
Registered
I've been in the works of getting ready to raise some baby bandensis. I'm just waiting on eggs to become available. And now my LFS gets a Flamboyant Cuttlefish!!! He's had it for 2 weeks. It's eating well. Not sure how old it is, but I am so sorely tempted!!!

Quick, someone talk me out of it!

Yeah, I stopped by the LFS tonight to check him out. He's only about 1 1/2 inches overall, so seems to be a youngster. Awesome color and very personable, swimming up to check you out when you approach the tank.

They are brilliant, they habituate relatively quickly to humans. You will need to keep them on live food but they pretty much eat straight away. I've currently got one (of the hongkong/japan variety) and about to get 4 more from my supplier, I'm currently getting them in for research looking at camoflague behaviour and have found there is hardly anything on keeping them. From what I can gather they're similar to s.bandensis in tank set up, I tried putting sand shifter seastars in with our one and he went into a huff for about 3 days but has seemed to settled down again now. He's in with coral, rocks and sand and the 3 sea stars but that's it. If you do get it let me know we can compare notes :smile:

Neogonodactylus;155966 said:
It may be your only chance to see one live given the rate at which they are being collected and the loss of their habitat.

Agreed- I'm yet to see one in Papua (have only heard of a few pictures taken of them here). Has anyone seen them in Lembeh lately?

The LFS was The Hidden Reef in Cocoa, FL. But I drug my feet and the day after I saw it they sold it to someone in N.Y. I hope it survives shipping again.

But it certainly was an awesome creature to see up close!

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back