Fishless Cycling

Discussion in 'Tank Talk' started by Burstsovenergy24, Sep 8, 2003.

1. Burstsovenergy24

Burstsovenergy24 Larger Pacific Striped Octopus Supporter

2. singularity

singularity Pygmy Octopus Registered

I did it...

I used raw cocktail shrimp in my tank to get my tank cycled. Also in the tank were about 10lbs. of live rock and about a 1.5" sand bed.

The tank cycled (ammonia and nitrite levels went to 0.0), and I later added another 40lbs of live rock and two damsels.

There was a minor spike in ammonia upon the introduction of the second batch of live rock (from die-off of the hour drive from the LFS to my apartment), but other than that the tank cycled well without fish.

A fish-less cycle is definitely do-able. I have heard that adding ammonia straight to a tank is not advisable, but I do not know the reasonings behind that.

I have also heard that adding uncured live rock will also cycle your tank (the dead organic material will provide enough ammonia)

[By the way - the second link you posted does not point at anything.]

3. Colin

Colin Colossal Squid Supporter

Fishless cycles are becoming more popular and some see it as being kinder on the animals but personally i cant think when i last lost a test pilot... My two black mollies in my freshwater tank have been marine on many ocassions.

Using uncured rock willl certainly work or get a high chair and pee in the tank, just as good :lol:

4. Burstsovenergy24

Burstsovenergy24 Larger Pacific Striped Octopus Supporter

Ok sounds good guys!

Then when try it for my oscar Ill post the results.

5. cthulhu77

cthulhu77 Titanites Supporter

Oh Colin...just the mental imagery is funny as hell! someone come up with an emoticon for that one!
    Greg

6. peterl23454

peterl23454 Pygmy Octopus Registered

lr

my fav way to cycle is with live rock only. uncured is cheaper also and usually you end up with better rock!