Fishless Cycling

singularity

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
Reaction score
I did it...

I used raw cocktail shrimp in my tank to get my tank cycled. Also in the tank were about 10lbs. of live rock and about a 1.5" sand bed.

The tank cycled (ammonia and nitrite levels went to 0.0), and I later added another 40lbs of live rock and two damsels.

There was a minor spike in ammonia upon the introduction of the second batch of live rock (from die-off of the hour drive from the LFS to my apartment), but other than that the tank cycled well without fish.

A fish-less cycle is definitely do-able. I have heard that adding ammonia straight to a tank is not advisable, but I do not know the reasonings behind that.

I have also heard that adding uncured live rock will also cycle your tank (the dead organic material will provide enough ammonia)

[By the way - the second link you posted does not point at anything.]

Colin

TONMO Supporter
Registered
Reaction score
Fishless cycles are becoming more popular and some see it as being kinder on the animals but personally i cant think when i last lost a test pilot... My two black mollies in my freshwater tank have been marine on many ocassions.

Using uncured rock willl certainly work or get a high chair and pee in the tank, just as good :lol:

cthulhu77

TONMO Supporter
Registered
Reaction score
Oh Colin...just the mental imagery is funny as hell! someone come up with an emoticon for that one!
Greg

peterl23454

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
Reaction score
lr

my fav way to cycle is with live rock only. uncured is cheaper also and usually you end up with better rock!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
ekocak Tank Talk 72
Pennyworth Tank Talk 6
DeepBlueWonders Tank Talk 5
J Tank Talk 2
Illithid Tank Talk 4

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rathtarwrangler

Monty Awards