• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Fish with Copper

I recently purchased 2 clown fish(2 months ago). They were fish that had been born there and raised to adult hood. Thats when i purchased them. Would they have copper in them that would put copper in the tank? Also i just noticed a little purple thing above one of the clown fishes gill. Is this Ich?

Pics?

When infected with ich, the fish may appear to have white sand like particles attached to its skin-hence the multitude of common names for the disease. The fish will rapidly rub against the gravel and other decorations as they attempt to rid themselves of this parasite. However, they will soon become lethargic and listless.

I tried super hard to get a pic but couldnt. The thing is about 1/4 inch and is purple. It is right above the gill right on the white stripe on the first on him. I havent seen him rub against anything yet. Has any one seen this before?

Also i am wondering about copper. I read on here that a lot of fish stored treat there fish with copper when they first get them. Do they do this with babies that they have bred? Is it also enough copper to harm an octopus? I will be very up set if that is the reason why i lost me last octo.:sad:

If your octo did not eat the fish, it is unlikely (I always have to hesitate on absolutes with a marine environment) putting the fish in the tank was the cause of the octo's demise.

The easiest way to find out about copper with the clown (Copper is not usually recommended for this kind of fish) is to call (although a visit and chat with a clerk sometimes gets a more knowledgable answer) and as for the department manager. Then simply ask about copper pretreatment. The pet store should not have a problem telling you they pretreat for disease. That does not go back to what the breeder may or may not have used but you will at least know if the store uses as a precautionary measure for their fish.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back