fish pics

Im sorry, but I'm going to be a sore loser and disagree :old:

Bubble Tip Anemone............................................................................Acropa

Attachments

• conv_292390.jpg
    conv_292390.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 79
  • conv_292391.jpg
    conv_292391.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 89
craigl
I looked up the coral on the internet and didn't find much. Can you tell me what kind of lighting and care that it needs?

Thanks

Yeah all acroporas tend to have similar demands in water quality, lighting, and flow. That one in particular coral tends to like a little less lighting for an acro. I have it under 2x250 14k hqi metal halides, 8xT5 actinics, and 4xLED 420nm lights. Granted that is high lighting but in comparison to the other acroporas in the tank...i keep this coral all the way at the bottom of the tank. almost on the sand bed! I had it up higher and it lost some color then i moved it down and it regained the color very nicely. For flow in the tank i have 2Xhydor koralia 4's, 1x hydor koralia 3, and a mag 12 return pump from the sump that i built a spray bar on the output in the tank. With all the stony corals in the tank i dose the 2 part B-ionic alk and calcium buffer with 60 mls of each dialy using a peristalic pump. I dont keep many fish in the tank in order to keep the bioload down but have some to "feed" the corals and have some nutrients in the tank. To keep the phosphates down i built an upwelling fluidized bed reactor and use granular ferric oxide (ROWAphos), I also use another reactor for carbon. Then i use a refugium where i grow cheatomorph, gracilaria, and mangroves for added nutrient export, and pod production. I also am a firm believer in over skimming!!

You can get away with not doing all this but i am what some people call addicted to this hobby haha! So i wouldnt say all of that is NEEDED to keep those types of corals happy... but it sure wont hurt!

I just want to share some pics of my trip this past week to Key West:

I don't have any pics of cephs, however I did find a squid that was about a foot long while snorkeling and followed it around for a while.

#1- There were quite a few Man o' Wars floating around while we were down there

#2- Upside down jellyfish were all over the place where we docked the boat. It took me a while to realize what they were as most of them were partially burried in the sand so that all you could see was what I thought was a plant. If you look closely, you can see some like this in the background. BTW: when I say all over I mean like 10 per square meter...about 10,000 in all. Does anyone know if it is always like this, or was this just a seasonal thing?

#3/#4- On the way back from the reef, we had about 10 porpoise (sp?) come up to the boat and follow us around for a while.

Attachments

• conv_292488.jpg
    conv_292488.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 93
  • conv_292489.jpg
    conv_292489.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 99
  • conv_292490.jpg
    conv_292490.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 91
  • conv_292491.jpg
    conv_292491.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 98
When we (my family and our family friends) docked the boat, everyone "conveniently" had to go do "something" and would be back "soon" :roll:. So my brother and I were left to wash off the boat which we did, then goofed around a little by throwing leftover chips to the fish, but when the gulls came over, we would spray them with the hose :twisted:. Then, four huge, gray masses of blubber floated over and completely freaked us out :bugout:untill we figured out what they were.........Florida Manatees!!!!!! :biggrin2: :biggrin2: :bugout:

It turns out, they are fresh water animals that can live in salt water, but need to find fresh water to drink every week or so, so a fresh water hose provided just that and boy did they drink.... for 45 minutes!!!

I took a lot of pics, but couldn't narrow it down any further than these:

Attachments

• conv_292492.jpg
    conv_292492.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 92
  • conv_292494.jpg
    conv_292494.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 94
  • conv_292493.jpg
    conv_292493.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 82
  • conv_292495.jpg
    conv_292495.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 73

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back