• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

First Time Tank

Well its about that time ....

Yep its been about three months since setting up the tank ... my levels have been at 0 (Nitrates,Nitrites, and Ammonia ) for several weeks now ... More rock has been added Live Rock. The skimmer is on its way from Marine Depot. and i have already emailed Jim at Octopets. I am going with the Otopets kit with the 200 clams .... questions:

I have a 10g set up as a feed tank ...with live sand and just basic HOB filtration .... should i put the clams in the feeding tank or in his main tank ... i plan on using the feeding tank to house blue leggs ect ...

i think i have a mantis shrimp in my tank it came with thsi last batch of Live Rock ... think it will be ok or do i need to catch him first.

anything else you would recomend for me to get before he gets here ....

um I am not an expert AT ALL but form what I read you should get the mantis shrimp out ( two predators in a tank is not a good idea ) and since the octopus will be small ( I think about the size of a quarter ) - the shrimp will probably kill it.

Get the mantis shrimp out right away! - It's not going to be easy, but maybe you could remove the piece of liverock the shrimp hides in.

Nancy

thanks

I will work on that right away .... i also have this awsome purple urchin ... that i am afraid has to go .... he is about the size of a dime with 1in. spines. Well i will keep in touch

done and done ....

Ok mantis shrip is gone very easy task ..... took the rock he was hiding in and ran it under some tap water and in less than 3 sec he ran out .... urchin is going to a lady tomarrow that has a urchin only tank .... kinda cool!!! so excited.....

wooohoo i am so excited i am all ready ... water params are good skimmer is installed and working .... only question i have left (well that i can think of) is:

I am getting the Otopets kit from Octopets.com and it comes with 200 baby clams ... so i need to set up a tank to keep my feed in what do you suggest ...5g with live sand ? or a bare bottom tank ? ....any suggestions on keeping the clams ....

I am just so excited ...! pics are comming of the tank set up!

Update: Just ordered the lill guy from Octopets ... so i guess i will be opening a thread on the Journals Forum ...Thanks!!!!!

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back