• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

First Octopus, New Tank

Darthmaccas

Hatchling
Registered
Hi all,
Really glad to have found this thread, many interesting and useful facts and tips to get started.

I have been running a mix reef tank for a while now and decided to explore the world of cephalopods!

Luck was on my side and i managed to acquire a 5ft tank with a sump. The problem is, the tank comes with an underflow as well and i'm worried that the substrate will be sucked into the underflow, and to the sump.

It would be of great help if anyone of you could suggest ways of blocking the underflow neatly? I have considered simply placing a piece of acrylic in front of the underflow to reduce or hopefully block the flow?

Here is the blueprint of my tank. Looking forward to your suggestions!

Capture2.JPG.20fb367745555c452f0ecb086dd29d30.JPG

Attachments

• Capture.JPG.44cf8e64eaf86b9f559743d6f63f5184.JPG
    Capture.JPG.44cf8e64eaf86b9f559743d6f63f5184.JPG
    26.3 KB · Views: 33
I am confused about what you mean by underflow. The diagram looks like a more typical hand on OVERflow box with weir similar to an all in one set up. If I am understanding the configuration correctly, you will not have a problem with substrate but you will (as is common) need to consider ways to keep the octo out of the weir (depending on the size of the animal). Medium sized species are not usually an issue but dwarfs and very young animals are a risk.

I have done two things to eliminate the issue. One, I have placed a 24/7 white light over the a weir that is fully blacked out (the typical setup). You do want to block the light from entering the main tank so that the animal will have true night darkness. Second, I have used VERY course sponge just below the weir grid. The sponge needs to be cleaned regularly but the octos don't like the feel of it and stop investigating when they encounter the rough texture. The coarseness is needed to allow max waterflow. I have recently found (but not yet tried) a product called GutterStuff that may be an inexpensive sponge for this use.

EDIT: The GutterStuff sponge product contains a germicide and should not be used in an aquarium.

Last edited:
Here's a youtube link that shows a tank with a DIY underflow
I'm thinking of going with a tank without any substrate, will that be okay for the octos?

I have a hood going on the tank and will be lining it with astroturf all around. My LFS is bringing in a mimic octopus, but unsure of it's size still!

Thanks for the tips. I'll definitely explore using the coarse sponge below the wier. Do you have any photos of your white light sitting above the wier? would love to see how that works out.

I've never seen this kind of set up and do believe that it is designed for more of a thumbnail (or larger) sized pebble rock substrate (ie usually freshwater with river rock). It definitely won't work with sand.

Bare bottom is fine for many octopuses (one of my tanks is now set up this way) but not Wunderpus (I know you said mimic but it will be Wunderpus photogenicus, the wholesalers always confuse the two). In the wild species likes to bury, it often does not do at all well in an aquarium and the numbers are unknown in the wild so it probably should not be collected. Note that we place journals for Wunderpus in the exotics forum to allow members to discuss and journal the animals but prohibit spiders from locating the discussions (you must be signed in to see the forum, there are no other restrictions). It is definitely NOT recommended as a first octopus as even well healed keepers have had little success with them.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back