• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

First Fiddler Crab

Mr. Fishy

Hatchling
Registered
Well Benny (my bimac of two weeks now) had his first fiddler crab meal today.... wow I have nevery seen him go after my tongs so fast. I worry that some of the crabs I got are bigger than I wanted... some being bigger than Benny. But after working on the crab for quite some time he cleaned the crab very well. He is holding on to the big claw still though I think maybe as a trophy. Swear he is almost smileling at me right now.

Benny is tank bred and raised so he is taking frozen food so how often should I feed him live crabs I know its important but just don't know how often.

Here is the best shot of him I have gotten so far:

Attachments

• conv_303074.jpg
    conv_303074.jpg
    483.9 KB · Views: 78
Feed him a small fiddler maybe two times a week, enough to give him variety in his food and entertainment. Don't feed him a crab any larger than his mantle. You might want to blunt the big claw (easily done with scissors) to prevent him from getting pinched (a number of bimac owners have done this).

Do you have a good place to keep fiddlers, so that you can give them to him over a period of time?

Nancy

Not very far, just the sharp tip so they can't close and pinch. Some of the younger octopuses do get pinched. I believe the tip will grow back if somehow the fiddler did not become food.

Nancy

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back