• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

First Cuttlefish

cephaloholic;114286 said:
Forgot to mention this. What the sign of senescene because my cuttle is a little off balance and not changing his color much from a pale beige. Did i buy a cuttle just to watch it die?

Don't panic, but yeah, that doesn't sound good. This is not uncommon with wild-caught cephs.

cephaloholic;114285 said:
He/She is about 2.5-3 inches mantle length so i'm guessing it's a a mture adult. I'm hoping if my parents allow me to set up my 36 bow to keep my cuttle in you could sell me some eggs if you have any at the time. How much would they go for?

Thats big! Get it out of the netbreeder and give it some space! It is prolly very very unhappy right now.

Check the availability forum, or email me when you are ready. Cost will depend on size and if the are captive bred vs captive reared and shipping.
I may not sell eggs anymore because I feel better raising them for at least a few weeks to make sure they are past some of the die off that we experience with hatchlings.

cephaloholic;114286 said:
Forgot to mention this. What the sign of senescene because my cuttle is a little off balance and not changing his color much from a pale beige. Did i buy a cuttle just to watch it die?

If its in a net breeder, I don't know what to tell you. Give it some space. :smile:
What are you feeding it, and how much has it been eating?

Buying an adult wild cuttle is generally considered a bad idea, and is mentioned in almost any writing about keeping them in home aquaria. Wild caught adults are usually old, they don't ship as well as youngsters/hatchlings and they don't handle the chain of custody from collection to hobbyist very well. In short, it is very possible you paid money to watch the cuttle die pretty quickly.

But again, if its still in the net breeder, I am pretty sure it isn't at all happy.

I only had it in the net breeder for 1 day because i wanted him to get used to the tank and away from my fish until i traded them in. He is in the tank now and looks a lot better. The reason i think he was off balance is because the net breeder was on the top and he was getting buffeted by the current. He is much happier and livelier. He is now roaming the tank and flashing his colors at his reflection.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back