• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

First Cuttlefish

Hi it's me again. i was at school and saw on LiveAquaria a cuttle fish for sale. Once i saw that i was itching to get home to beg my parents to get it for me. I've kept octo's when i was 13 but now i'm alitttle older i wanted to try something knew. I ordered it thursday night and got it around 5:20 today. I was surprised it lived the trip because it was supposed to come around 10:30 but it came at 5:20 with a little ink in the bag. It's doing fine in a net breeder in my tank. It is so cool to watch him hunt its prey. I do have one question, How do you wean it onto frozen food. I know it needs a varied diet with supplements of live food but for sometime when i'm out of live i think it will be beneficial.
:sink:

Best course is to keep live food on hand at all times.:wink:
lol

I was able to mix in bits of frozen food with live food, in order to get them to trigger on it. Eventually I was able to wean my to frozen food alone when the occasion prohibited live food.

Thanks a lot. I want to name it though and i don't know if it's male or female. I was thinking of holding a mirror up to the side of the tank and seeing if it reacts.

Piss it off and name it Squidward.:biggrin2:

sometimes they can react negatively to a reflection that moves. Try holding up a photograph of a cuttle and see how He/she/it reacts, then take steps to the mirror. No sense in having it beat itself to death on the sides of the tank, yeah?:smile:

That happen sometimes with cuttles. Every time the cat walks by they jet into a wall or rock...sad situations that one does their best to rectify.

Congratulations on your new friend.

Can you post pictures? I don't think you can determine their sex by any physical features but some pictures of various behaviors might. Then again they might not display certain tell-tale behaviors if their isn't a potential mate present. I don't think they can see a picture like you and I see it, so that might prove to be pointless.

Unless you plan to introduce a potential mate I wouldn't worry about it. Either way, it's a cool critter!

I wish i could post pictures but i am a complete stranger when it comes to computers. Could someone explain how to do it. I think it might be a male because once i saw it see its reflection on the glass and try to ram into it. Luckily it's in a net breeder so it didn't hurt itself. Also i can't seem to take good pictures of that tank with my digital camera. Would a snapshot camera be better? What camera did thales use to take pictures of his wunderpus and flamboyant cuttlefish. What behavior is typical of male or female.

How big it is? I know Kevin from LA was hatching out some eggs, so maybe you got one of his. You won't see any sexual characteristics until they are 3-5 months old.
Pics are a hole world unto themselves. Try a top down shot with all your pumps turned off and the water is calm. FWIW, I use a Nikon D70 (upgrade soon I hope :biggrin2: ) with a 105 vr micro lens.

cephaloholic;114279 said:
yes i have a digital camera but not a very good one.

That's okay, just follow Thales' advice, and take the pick and upload it to your PC. Then (this is what I do) go to photobucket.com (it's free) make an account and upload the photo. It pretty much walks you through the process. Then click on the IMG code under the pic and paste it here and the pic should pop up.

He/She is about 2.5-3 inches mantle length so i'm guessing it's a a mture adult. I'm hoping if my parents allow me to set up my 36 bow to keep my cuttle in you could sell me some eggs if you have any at the time. How much would they go for?

Forgot to mention this. What the sign of senescene because my cuttle is a little off balance and not changing his color much from a pale beige. Did i buy a cuttle just to watch it die?

you can also use the paper clip icon to attach up to 3 pictures to a post, if you'd rather keep then on TONMO itself. It does require you to first add the image to the list, and then "insert" it into the post (also done from the paper clip pull-down menu.)

This is all in the "advanced" reply, if there's a "go advanced" button, click on that if you don't see the paper clip.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back