• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

First Cuttlefish

Hey Guys,

I've been searching around this forum for awhile now and have properly cycled my tank and have it set up. I believe i am ready for my first cuttlefish.

Is there anywhere online that I could purchase a Cuttlefish?
What is the best breed to start off with?
and how large do they usually grow?

Jake,
I am an octo keeper but I can answer a couple of your basic questions. In the US, the largest majority (with little exception and almost no exception for eggs) cuttles we see are S. bandensis, reaching 4" to 6" in length as adults. The best successes have been to purchase and hatch the eggs. Be aware that this is quite expensive for the first month+ because the only consistently successful food for new hatchlings has been live mysis shrimp. Please visit the List of Our Cuttlefish 2009-2011 thread at the top of this forum for a linked list to those journaled here.

Yes... Please consider the cost... I have spent several hundred dollars the last two months on mysis and shore shrimp! I think by your original post that you need to read several of the journals and articles on here before you take the leap. In a few weeks after reading and posting your questions here you should be ready!

Good Luck!

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back