Pr0teusUnbound

GPO
Registered
see how many cephalopods you can find.

Attachments

• conv_305406.jpg
    conv_305406.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 82
My best shot. Keep in mind that I have never handled (knowingly) a fossilized ceph found in the ground and not cleaned for viewing. The green marks are my best guesses and the red mostly of conical "things" I see. I did not mark anything I thought was related to a snail :roll:

Attachments

• conv_300598.jpg
    conv_300598.jpg
    897.3 KB · Views: 78
I'm liking the ones you marked in green D, I think some of the red ones might be crinoidal, I can't quite make them out enough to say for sure....(old eyes) :smile:

DWhatley;195092 said:
My best shot. Keep in mind that I have never handled (knowingly) a fossilized ceph found in the ground and not cleaned for viewing. The green marks are my best guesses and the red mostly of conical "things" I see. I did not mark anything I thought was related to a snail :roll:

you did pretty well! my old iphone camera doesnt really do this rock justice, but you found just about all of the cephalopods i could spot (in green). the big one on the lowerleft is my favorite because it shows just how thin cephalopod shells could be in life.

Terri;195103 said:
I'm liking the ones you marked in green D, I think some of the red ones might be crinoidal, I can't quite make them out enough to say for sure....(old eyes) :smile:

im quite sure that most ones circled in red are crinoid columnals. i find that crinoid calcite is tan-whine, opaque and glassy, but cephalopod calcite is clear-translucent and usually crumbles into grains.

the white things are interesting too. im pretty sure theyre a form of aragonite, the carbonate mineral that makes up gastropod, rostroconch, tentaculite, cephalopod, and modern coral hard parts. normally aragonite doesnt preserve at all and yet this rock is chock full of it.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back