• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Finaly got my Live Rrock

Spence24

GPO
Registered
100 lbs strait from fiji. I arranged it myself, hope you like it.

Attachments

• conv_303187.jpg
    conv_303187.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 105
  • conv_303188.jpg
    conv_303188.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 98
  • conv_303189.jpg
    conv_303189.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 104
No comments...hmmm, I was rather impressed with my stacking skills this is a 60 long, and its all gravity held. It's pretty hard making a stack like that with only a 12 inch depth.

p.s. please excuse the mess

thanks, ryan

heh... it's only been an hour! We're still stunned with awe! :wink:

It looks pretty awesome, spence -- does it appear active? I imagine it's fun to look at.

tonmo;107534 said:
heh... it's only been an hour! We're still stunned with awe! :wink:

It looks pretty awesome, spence -- does it appear active? I imagine it's fun to look at.

haha... I was just looking for some instant gratification. And ya it's ridiculously active every piece is covered in color about half of the lot is at least 30% covered in purple coralline algae. And the rest are 65-85% covered in array of color. One thing that worries me is that the water has a slight greenish tinge, I have heard that this may be because theirs not enough oxygen? Wait it out or what.

One question I have to ask -- do you think the furniture it sits on is sturdy enough? I am not experienced with this, but I've seen other folks in the past comment on the need for a strong foundation for a big tank.

Cool, thanks...I just wanted to make sure. Oh and, if I don't secure the rock, will it be o.k. I understand my octo will probably move them, but he won't get hurt in the process will he? Their are seriously a minimum of 15 little caves in the rocks, so no major movement will be required. Also one more question is there enough open space for my octo??

tonmo;107540 said:
One question I have to ask -- do you think the furniture it sits on is sturdy enough? I am not experienced with this, but I've seen other folks in the past comment on the need for a strong foundation for a big tank.

Yes, I...actually me and my girlfriend, spent 3 and half hours setting it up. Putting every rock in just the right place so that everything is extremely secure and nothing can be moved without a great deal of force.

EDIT: The tank itself has been set up for a couple weeks, I just added the live rock.

Congratulations on reaching this step in the develpment of your tank!

It's so interesting to get live rock and watch all it become covered with interesting things. As you say, there's already much to see. You'll still be finding new algaes, featherdusters, amphipods and whatever 6 months from now. Be sure to buy a good magnifying glass so you can view everything close up!

I see the many little octopus dens and passages that you've left in the rock. You were right to test the stability carefully. The only casulty from falling rock reported on Ceph Care was years ago when a small octopus hung onto the rock with a few arms and the feeding stick with others, pulling a rock down on himself. Your rock should be fine.

I assume you have a sump under the tank.

And Tony, that's an aquarium stand, they're usually heavy wood and/or very strong plastic, so it should be fine for the tank, but no doubt Ryan has looked into that.

Nancy

Ahhh... I'm sorry tony, I thought you meant the rock. Yes actually that was an aquarium stand made for a 60 long. It is meant to hold a lot more than I have loaded. It is heavy wood.

And Nancy, I am very exited. This is the most lively(sp?) rock I have ever got! I can't wait to see what sprouts out. And haha, I was VERY careful about leaving my little friend MANY places to call home. I actually don't have a sump? I have a 10 & a 5 gallon tank under the tank. the 5 is only going to have an inch or 2 of water for fiddlers, but the 10 is going to be full, it's going to house a 100 to 150 shrimp. would it be worth pluming that into the system? And if I do, what else should I do to the 10 gallon? It shouldn't be hard, and then I guess I could have the 5 just be a flow through. Well I'll wait for your input.

btw: the two filters you see are a aqua-c remora and a huge 3 stage filter...I think it's rated for like 80 gallons or something. It has a heavy filter cartridge on both sides and in front of those there is a basket that you can fill with carbon. And as the water exits it gets squirted on two xl bio-wheels.

How large is your main tank?

I'd defer to others on whether to plumb in your lower tanks, but if you don't have a sump, it might be easier to keep the smaller tanks in a more accessible place - just my opinion.

Oh, yes - you might want to document online how your live rock is evolving.

Nancy

The main tank is 60 gallons, I don't really see the point in a sump except to increase the amount of water, I have both my filters exposed and that doesn't really bug me and I already have a 100 lbs. of lr in the main tank. But, I have been playing around with the idea for awhile now, how large would you suggest if you would at all.

If you later decide that seeing some of the filtration does bother you, there are several ways to black out the back even with it set up. I use a dark film on some of mine and have considered attaching black acrylic. The primary advantage to the film it that it sticks on well without adhesive and I can pull it away when I am octo hunting in my 45 hex ;>). It does show air bubble but works well and provides a lot of flexibility. We put it on my son's 60 long glass tank and you don't even notice the slight color difference that does show some on the odd shaped acrylics.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back