Finally, an octopus in Holland

Welcome to TONMO.com, mucktopus! :welcome:

Are you keeping an octopus, or have kept one? You might want to tell us about yourself in the Introduce Yourself forum.

Nancy

I don't think it eat the fish. Before I got the ocvtopus, I had 2 other mollies in the tank. The started well, but both disappeared during the night. One within a day, the other one within 3 days.

I looks like it is less active, although once it starts moving again, it has the same behaviour. The two crabs in the tank are still alife, one is 1 cm big, the otherone about 2,5-3 cm.
Today I tried to wiggle a piece of thawed shrimp (peeled) on a stick in front of the octopus. Although he did touch it, he didn't do anything with it. Just like the crab and the fish. It must have noticed them (the fish same in front of it, the crabs were surely in its eyesight (which must be great, if I'm not mistaken)), but it totally ignores the food. So I don't think a clawless crab is the option.

Yesterday I also tried a piece of squid (cookec the rest myself, stuffed squid with mushrooms, paprika and pesto. Grilled it, excelent!!). I placed the squid in a glass cup in the tank, so the crabs wouldn't get it. Unfortunatly no succes.

Starting to get a bit demotivated about this one. Colin, where did you get your bimac? Any change getting it in europe?

Oh look, it just got out of it's hiding place. So it does move around again!!
But apparently only in the dark.

How about water quality. It hasn't behaved strangly, except for no interest in food at all, but could it be something to do with wrong values? NO3 is a bit high at this moment (25 mg/l). Any report known for octo's loosing apetite due to waterquality?

Light: I have one TL light burning during the day. Could this be to much for it to be hungry (sounds very strange, but worth to ask).

Another thing, octotanks often have high NO3 values because they eat a lot. I heard that if you add a few ml of wodka (other other etahnol source), you can reduce the NO3 value significantly. Ethanol is used by anaerobic bacteria, which consume NO3 --> N2. If you don't neglect the frequent water change, I do like this method. Has anyone experienced this with octotanks? What I said before, it has been done before with nice results in reeftanks.

intros

Yeah- I'm one of Roy Cadlwell's grad students- finally back on US soil and able to get a reliable internet connection! I've posted an introduction in the Intros forum. Most of my experiences with octopuses have been on their turf rather than with aquaria, although we have kept a decent variety in the lab/at stations over the past few years.

Dont think Id be adding vodka, best idea would be to use some nitrate removing resin or good old fashioned water changes :smile:

if you fancy a good project why nottry building your own denitrification filter? Quite easy to build and parts are simple :smile:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back