Final Octo Tattoo Drawings

Keith

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
As some of you know, i'm a tattoo artist. I had a guy come to me about a month ago lookin for a tattoo of an octopus. He ended up flakin for a while so I didn't waste my time drawing it. He finally got serious, so after a few sketches I have my final draft. Obviously it's going to look different as a tattoo, and my colored pencils suck for shading, but I wanted to see what you all think. Let me know guys.

IMG_0001-1.jpg

I like the way you have incorporated the water and the animal, it has a nice sense of flow to it.

Thank you very much. He had said he wanted to incorperate some japanese influence into it, and i've always liked the way traditional japanese artists draw the ocean, so I went with it. At first I did it in black and grey, but I think I like it better in color.

I would agree, you may look at the diamonds and maybe change them for something more organic, but that is a taste issue, only.

I am not a fan of Tats but I would be less objectionable to that art work over the unartistic stuff my son has embroidered on his body. If the flow transfers to the skin as it does in the drawing, it is one of the nicest I have seen. I hope you will post it on skin for those of us who are curious about the transfer.

I like it, too. It's realistic but stylized octopus, and should make a good tattoo.

I, too, don't think the diamonds fit in very well with the rest of the design. Are they really necessary?

Nancy

The diamonds don't bother me, for a differing opinion. I like it... it looks like a "body surfing octopus"

I've thought about it some more - it's a great drawing and I really like how you've handled the water.

I guess the diamonds surprised me, but they go with the rest of the art, so I'll change my mind and say the diamonds are OK.

I hope you'll post the finished tattoo here, too!

Nancy

It's a great design, but I am ambivalent about the diamonds. "There are no straight lines in nature", as the saying goes, so I would prefer something more in keeping with the wave motion (maybe more ovals than diamonds?), but hey, it's not my tattoo! If your client likes it as is, then he'll be happy. You don't have to please all of us.

Thanks again everyone. Yea the diamonds weren't my first choice. I tried it without them, but with the way the arms twist you can't really tell which way each arm is goin. I'll probably change it again, I have time, this guy flaked on me AGAIN. That's money I coulda made and didn't, so I don't think i'm going to be doing any work for him. I might just get this one on myself :twisted: Octos are fun to draw, you can do so much just with the arms, i'll definately do more. Maybe i'll try a cuttle or a squid. This is somethin I can see people wanting, so whenever it gets put on someone i'll put up a picture so you can all check it out. Thanks for all the responses everyone, I really appreciate it. I like having people to critique my work. Well, until then, take it easy people.

-Keith

sorseress;124927 said:
It's a great design, but I am ambivalent about the diamonds. "There are no straight lines in nature", as the saying goes

Hey, you can take that up with the diamondback rattlesnakes, but I'm not going to pick fights with 'em.

I think that the diamonds are going to be frustrating in the long run as they are going to have size consistency issues between each other. That and if you resize the size of the piece they are going to give you a headache. If you have to reduce it they are going to get muddled and if you increase it they are going to get huge and draw attention from the octopus itself. If you redrew it without them and just did the color shading on the skin people will pay more attention to the suckers and the shapes the arms make.

excellent! I like all the elements; the great wave japanese style, the fluid movement of the octo, I even like the geometry. I think you did an especially good job of getting the suckers to look good. maybe go a little sharper on the points of the waves?
Great%20Wave%20(large).jpg

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back