Final Octo Tattoo Drawings

Discussion in 'Cephalopod Journals' started by Keith, Sep 8, 2008.

1. Keith

Keith Vampyroteuthis Registered

As some of you know, i'm a tattoo artist. I had a guy come to me about a month ago lookin for a tattoo of an octopus. He ended up flakin for a while so I didn't waste my time drawing it. He finally got serious, so after a few sketches I have my final draft. Obviously it's going to look different as a tattoo, and my colored pencils suck for shading, but I wanted to see what you all think. Let me know guys.

[​IMG]

2. cthulhu77

cthulhu77 Titanites Supporter

I like the way you have incorporated the water and the animal, it has a nice sense of flow to it.

3. OB

OB Colossal Squid Staff Member Moderator

I sincerely like the dynamics.

#3    Top
  4. Keith

Thank you very much. He had said he wanted to incorperate some japanese influence into it, and i've always liked the way traditional japanese artists draw the ocean, so I went with it. At first I did it in black and grey, but I think I like it better in color.

5. OB

OB Colossal Squid Staff Member Moderator

I would agree, you may look at the diamonds and maybe change them for something more organic, but that is a taste issue, only.

#5    Top
  6. DWhatley

DWhatley Cthulhu Staff Member Moderator

I am not a fan of Tats but I would be less objectionable to that art work over the unartistic stuff my son has embroidered on his body. If the flow transfers to the skin as it does in the drawing, it is one of the nicest I have seen. I hope you will post it on skin for those of us who are curious about the transfer.

7. Animal Mother

Animal Mother Architeuthis Supporter

I really, really like it. Diamonds, not so much. Otherwise, awesome.

8. Nancy

Nancy Titanites Staff Member Moderator

I like it, too. It's realistic but stylized octopus, and should make a good tattoo.

I, too, don't think the diamonds fit in very well with the rest of the design. Are they really necessary?

Nancy

9. monty

monty Colossal Squid Staff Member Supporter

The diamonds don't bother me, for a differing opinion. I like it... it looks like a "body surfing octopus"

10. Nancy

Nancy Titanites Staff Member Moderator

I've thought about it some more - it's a great drawing and I really like how you've handled the water.

I guess the diamonds surprised me, but they go with the rest of the art, so I'll change my mind and say the diamonds are OK.

I hope you'll post the finished tattoo here, too!

Nancy

11. sorseress

sorseress Colossal Squid Supporter

It's a great design, but I am ambivalent about the diamonds. "There are no straight lines in nature", as the saying goes, so I would prefer something more in keeping with the wave motion (maybe more ovals than diamonds?), but hey, it's not my tattoo! If your client likes it as is, then he'll be happy. You don't have to please all of us.

12. Keith

Thanks again everyone. Yea the diamonds weren't my first choice. I tried it without them, but with the way the arms twist you can't really tell which way each arm is goin. I'll probably change it again, I have time, this guy flaked on me AGAIN. That's money I coulda made and didn't, so I don't think i'm going to be doing any work for him. I might just get this one on myself :twisted: Octos are fun to draw, you can do so much just with the arms, i'll definately do more. Maybe i'll try a cuttle or a squid. This is somethin I can see people wanting, so whenever it gets put on someone i'll put up a picture so you can all check it out. Thanks for all the responses everyone, I really appreciate it. I like having people to critique my work. Well, until then, take it easy people.

-Keith

13. monty

monty Colossal Squid Staff Member Supporter

Hey, you can take that up with the diamondback rattlesnakes, but I'm not going to pick fights with 'em.

14. esquid

esquid Haliphron Atlanticus Supporter

I think that the diamonds are going to be frustrating in the long run as they are going to have size consistency issues between each other. That and if you resize the size of the piece they are going to give you a headache. If you have to reduce it they are going to get muddled and if you increase it they are going to get huge and draw attention from the octopus itself. If you redrew it without them and just did the color shading on the skin people will pay more attention to the suckers and the shapes the arms make.

15. Sharkdude

Sharkdude Cuttlefish Registered

excellent! I like all the elements; the great wave japanese style, the fluid movement of the octo, I even like the geometry. I think you did an especially good job of getting the suckers to look good. maybe go a little sharper on the points of the waves?
    [​IMG]

16. gholland

gholland Haliphron Atlanticus Supporter

[​IMG]
    Sorry... but as a mineral collector... it's all about the natural straight lines! :thumbsup: for the rattler Monty! (Beat me to it.)

I really like the Japanese stylization on the waves Keith. I personally kinda like the diamonds...

"Every rule has an exception," or so they say. :grin:

17. Keith

I'm in the process of redrawing it. Those diamonds are no good, so i'm doin everything else first while I decide what to do with em. And thats actually another reason i'm redrawing it Sharkdude, I wanna do some more stuff with the waves.

18. esquid

esquid Haliphron Atlanticus Supporter

Tracing paper is your friend. Trace the outline a bunch of times and then you can try out different shadings, skin textures and designs.

19. Keith

I'm no noobie to it. I have LOADS of tracing paper. People almost never like the first draft...

20. pontoon bum

pontoon bum Larval Mass Registered

Damn nice tattoo man, how much did you charge for it??